This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Keeping your hair shiny and smooth doesn’t have to mean dishing out hundreds of dollars on expensive hair products. With these do it yourself treatments you can save yourself money.

Coconut Milk Hair Mask

If your hair suffers from dryness try this mask to give it the love it deserves, this will make your hair softer and will make it shine. Go ahead and take a can of coconut milk and add in some honey, you can use any empty bottle you have on hand to store this mask in. If you don’t have any around, check out your local dollar store! When you apply this mixture to your hair massage it in for a couple of minutes and leave on for an hour. After an hour go ahead and shampoo your hair, and be sure to rinse with cold water. Don’t be alarmed if your hair feels greasy at first, just give it some time to dry and it will appear soft and hydrated. 

Hair Lengthener 

Maybe you’re like me and you’re dying to have longer hair. Well ladies coconut oil should be your best friend if you want to make your hair grow. For this treatment you’ll need 2 parts melted coconut oil, and 1 part dry rosemary, use enough to cover your whole head. Massage the mixture through your hair and leave in overnight, or for four hours, and wash out with cold water. This treatment will not only help your hair grow, but it will also be softer and can lighten your hair slightly. 

Split End Treatment

Before your split ends make you submit to a haircut try this mask out! Take half a cup of olive oil and heat it up, but just warm enough that you can apply it your scalp. Allow your dead ends to soak up the oil first, then apply the remaining oil to the rest of your head. Next comb through it and let this set for 15 minutes, then go ahead and shampoo it out. Personally I can say olive oil does wonders for your hair, it will leave it shinier and no doubt healthier. 

Some other tips for healthy hair to take biotin daily. I have done this for years and it has made my hair fuller and shinier. Also, drink lots of water, and maintain a healthy diet, drinking herbal tea helps too! If you’re washing your hair every day, stop, this dries your hair out and is doing it serious damage. Instead just wash it every other day or even better every two days, on your days not washing it dry shampoo will be your bestie. Another tip is to stop using so much heat on your hair, let it naturally dry, or at least use a heat protectant.  

Her Campus at UW-Stout