This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

How do you pick your shampoo? Maybe it smells amazing, or you go for the best deal, but have you ever taken a look at what’s in your shampoo?

Those ingredients listed on the back play a major role in the health of your hair, and your worst enemy on that ingredient list is “sulfates.” What are sulfates you wonder? Sulfates are what makes your shampoo lather; they’re a detergent for your hair. Some of us only feel that we have sufficiently cleansed our hair if we feel it all lathered up. But the more you pile on the shampoo, the more damage.

Why are sulfates so bad? They completely dry out your hair, they give it that brittle feeling after you wash it. They also clog the pores on your scalp which restricts your hairs natural oil from breaking through, and giving it that healthy shine and softness.

Luckily, you and your hair don’t have to suffer anymore! If your shampoo contains sulfates toss it out and replace it with a sulfate free shampoo, or even a cleansing conditioner. When switching to one of these other options you will notice that they don’t lather, but that’s a good thing! Just make sure your hair is completely wet before applying your new shampoo. With sulfate free shampoo you can apply it twice if you feel you need to. Two applications of sulfate free shampoo are still safer for your hair than one application of shampoo with sulfates.

Her Campus at UW-Stout