Coming Home for the First Time as a Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

For some freshmen, college means going to a school an hour away, and driving back on weeknights for dinner or to see the family. For me, it meant going four hours north without a car on campus, so going home for the first time was kind of a big deal.

At the end of September, I went home for not even 24 hours, and it was more stressful than I would have liked. So, this time around was my first real, planned trip home, and it was so much better. I was able to sleep in my own bed at home for three consecutive nights and spend time with my family, friends, and boyfriend while also having some much-needed time to myself.

Going home in college for the first time is strange, because you’re already so adjusted to living there that it feels like you were never gone, but you quickly realize that you’ve also gotten used to being on your own. One of the weirdest things for me was having to coordinate with my family about where I’d be for meals, because at school my friends and I eat in the cafeteria at the same times almost every day, whereas at home it’s a mess trying to find a time when the whole family can sit down and eat together.

Sleeping in my own bed was probably the best part about being home. I’m not a fan of the lofted twin beds in the dorms, especially not when I have a queen sized bed that I don’t have to literally climb into back home. While my bed is my sanctuary at school, my comforter at home is much softer and cozier, and it feels good to be able to just fall into bed. 

Not having a car on campus means sharing a car back home, which I was glad to have escaped and disappointed to come back to. On campus, I can walk to almost anywhere I need to be, and I can leave without telling anyone where I am or when I’ll be back. At home, I needed to coordinate with my brother and tell my parents all about where I was going and who I would be with.

Being in a familiar place helped ease my anxieties for a little bit. Knowing where things were and how they worked was a nice change from the sometimes chaotic mess that is college life. It’s where I grew up and where most of my happiest memories are rooted, so being around that kind of energy was calming. 

Overall, though, spending a weekend at home was just what I needed. It can be overwhelming being so far away from family and friends in a new place, and living away from home takes some getting used to. Taking the time to reconnect with my family and friends strengthened my relationships with them and reminded me that I’ll always have a support network, despite the physical distance between us.

Sarah is a freshman in the Professional Communications program at UW-Stout. She hopes to work as a journalist after graduation. When she's not writing, she can be found reading true crime novels, hiking, or watching HGTV.
Her Campus at UW-Stout