This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Cleaning Your Makeup Brushes

How long has your brush collection been sitting in its stand collecting different powders? If you’re like most busy college girls, cleaning your makeup brush isn’t exactly on your “to do” list every week.

Did you know cleaning your brushed can prevent breakouts? It’s true! I will vouch for this, for the past year I have been cleaning my brushes regularly and my breakouts have significantly gone away.

How do you clean them you’re wondering? Is it expensive? Is it time consuming? Well, no it’s not expensive by any means and only takes a few minutes. You can opt for a DIY cleaner, or buy one from the drugstore.

Here’s everything you need for a DIY brush cleaner:

Or you can buy one like this from a drugstore:

Once you’ve decided on the cleaner you want to use, the process is very simple. Collect all of those dirty brushes and a clean towel you can lay them on. Next, put your cleaner on a large dinner plate. Wet your brushes and swirl each one through the cleaner, then rinse them out. I suggest using cold water so you don’t damage your brushes. Lay your brushes flat to dry, this usually takes about half the day, so be sure you don’t need to use them for a while.

Now that you know how to clean them I hope you take action and get those brushes clean! I know I’ve been the type of person to just toss them when they’re dirty and go buy new ones, but it’s not an affordable habit. Cleaning them regularly benefits your skin and your bank account! 

Her Campus at UW-Stout