Career Conference Ain’t Just For Seniors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

University of Wisconsin – Stout is known as “Wisconsin’s Polytechnic University” for a reason; every step from enrollment to graduation is geared towards your dream job.  Unlike other colleges and universities, Stout gives you hands-on experience with proven results. That’s why we love it! 

Part of that career-driven approach is Stout’s famous biannual Career Conference.  Hundreds of employers flock to Stout for two days of networking, recruiting and interviewing – because they want YOUR NAME on their employee roster.  They want a Stout Grad playing for their team.  And although you may not be ready to scout for that internship or job, there are plenty of reasons you should still attend the Career Conference . . . like yesterday . . . but now will have to suffice.

1.)    It’s good practice!

You’re going to be a nervous mess when talking to employers for that final job unless you’ve done it before.  You’re not there to interview, so the pressure is off!  Employers are happy to talk to any students with an interest in their company.  Shake some hands; practice your elevator pitch.  Recruiters know how it feels to be on the other side of the handshake, and they’ll probably have some good feedback for you.

2.)    Learn who’s out there looking for you!

Career Conference days are split by majors, so most of the recruiting businesses are specific to you.  By going to the career conference, you can find out what positions employers are looking to fill in your field, and find out what employers have to offer students in your major.  It’s like the easiest level of career recon.

3.)    Make a good impression!

Many of the employers that attend the conference go year-after-year.  You may not be seriously looking, but recruiters will like your passion and enthusiasm.  Introduce yourself and ask questions; tell them some things about yourself that will make a good impression.  Who knows?  Maybe your face will be the one that stands out.  Besides, your face will be fresh in their minds for next year.

4.)    Doors are doors.

You may not fulfill the requirements for a co-op, but employers can open many other doors.  Ask about the possibility of job-shadowing or mentorships.  Many businesses offer these programs, but wouldn’t think to mention it unless prompted.  Have no fear – the worst they can do is say no.

Whatever your reasons are for going initially, you’ll be thanking yourself later.  This fall, the Career Conference is in the Johnson Fieldhouse Multi-Purpose Room on Tuesday, October 14th and Wednesday, October 15th.  Be sure to check out the Career Services Website for more information.  Even just knowing the procedures and layout will increase your confidence tenfold when the time comes.  And for the job of your dreams, it just might be worth it.

Kate is a junior at University of Wisconsin Stout.  She is a Professional Communication and Emerging Media major, with a concentration in Applied Journalism and a minor in Speech Communication.   Very soon she will also be dual majoring in Digital Marketing Technology. Her interests include blogging, writing, swing dancing, watching movies and (yes) training llamas back home.  Check out her blog at http://collegiettebyday.com
Her Campus at UW-Stout