This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

On March 29th, Billie Eilish dropped her debut album “WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO?” Since then, it’s broken records and has topped the charts. As a huge fan, I will be taking the liberty to review each track and give my honest thoughts on it. Oh, and the titles are also linked to the songs on Youtube as well!

For those who don’t know Miss Billie, she’s a 17-year-old that has defined her own genre of music. Her most popular song is “Ocean Eyes,” came out in 2015, which was featured on Connor Franta’s 2016 compliation album Common Culture, Vol. V. Since then, she’s written and recorded tracks for the Netflix show 13 Reasons Why and has also put out an EP in 2017 called Don’t Smile At Me. 

1. !!!!!!

This is basically just a fun little intro to the album. I think it adds some of her personality to it, which is good. 

2. bad guy

This is my favorite song on the album. I am OBSESSED with it. I love the beat and how the lyrics flow together. I also enjoy the little “duh” in the chorus. To sum up my excitement for this song, I perform this song full out when I’m driving to work. The music video for it is also interesting. There’s a lot of elements and it’s pretty Billie-esque. 

3. xanny

During the verses, the song really shows off her voice without much music behind it. However when the chorus comes around, the beat drops and she has effects on her voice, which makes it really cool. The song is also about how she has friends that use Xanny and other drugs while she doesn’t. According to an interview with The Gaurdian, it isn’t so much about preaching don’t do drugs as it is about being safe. 

4. you should see me in a crown 

This is another one of my favorite songs by Billie. I love the bass. I also love the music video, although I hate spiders. There’s something about it that comes across as haunting, which I love. It’s really fun to listen to loudly because you feel like you’re being enveloped by the music. 

5. all the good girls go to hell

I like the opening line of this song: “My lucifer is lonely.” The effects on her voice are cool and its a good way to start it out. I also like how she refers to God as a woman because, well, Ariana Grande established for us that God is a woman in 2018. There’s something empowering about this song for feminists because it reminds me of the quote by Margaret P. Thatcher: “Well-behaved women rarely make history.” So, yeah, that’s my connections. I also really enjoy the music paired with it. 

6. wish you were gay

I’ll admit that I didn’t really listen to this song when it first came out because I thought of all the negative backlash that she got on it when it wasn’t at all offensive. Anyway, I really like the chorus of the song. I also like the meaning behind the song – not the narrative people want to put behind it, but the one that Billie put behind it. 

7. when the party’s over

This song is so calm, but so emotional at the same time. The music video is also interesting. To me, it’s aesthetically pleasing other than the whole ruining of a nice white outfit. It’s simple, but effective. It was on her Don’t Smile At Me EP, so I’ve known it for a while. It’s one of those songs you listen to when you’re in your feelings or just need to relax. 

8. 8

I’ll admit I’ve only listened to this song once or twice, but that doesn’t mean that I don’t like it. It’s a nice song and I really like how she manipulates her voice to sound like a little girl. It’s got a nice accompaniment to it as well, which makes it nice to listen to. For me, I have to be in the mood to listen to it, but that doesn’t mean that it’s a bad song!

9. my strange addiction This is another one of my top favorites from this album. While I’m not a religious fan of The Office, I appreciate the clips that she included in it. This is another one that I perform in the car on my work. The music is something that makes you want to dance along. 

10. bury a friend

While this song is all over Tik Tok, it’s one that never gets sickening for me. When it was first released, it honestly made me that much more excited for her album. I like the use of the man’s voice. I think it adds that creepy effect. The music video is exciting too, although I’m not a huge fan of the needles. 

11. ilomilo

This is another one that I haven’t listened to very much, but it’s a good song when I listen to it. It’s another one of those that I have to be in a not shuffling mood, otherwise I’ll skip it. I’m still trying to figure out what the title means without Google, but I have a feeling that I will eventually have to resort to it. 

12. listen before i go

This one made me cry. It’s just what the title says. So, here’s your trigger warning: it’s about suicide. While I get sad listening to this song, I do love it. It’s one of those that’s so calming, even if the lyrics and meaning is completely and utterly depressing. This song is also relatable for those that have had those thoughts, so it makes it all the more special. The part that really got me was in the end when there was police sirens. I’m a visual person, so I could picture it happening and it just broke my heart in two. 

13. i love you

Another one that doesn’t have a lot of music, so it really showcases her beautiful vocals. I love the passion that’s in her voice in the chorus. It’s so in-your-face and it’s beautiful. 

14. goodbye

It took me a second to realize that this is a medley of all of the songs on her album. I’ve heard things like this before, but Billie’s is by far my favorite. It’s so well put together. It gives you the “wow, it’s done. That was an experience” vibes, which I love. Personally, I think that she should open with this on tour, but that’s just me. 

I like cats, the Green Bay Packers, and One Direction. That's about it.
Her Campus at UW-Stout