Ballet Inspiration for Your Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

I grew up in an incredibly ballet friendly home. My parents rarely let me listen to anything other than classical music, we attended ballets on a regular basis, and enrolled me in ballet classes at an early age. Although my ballet career did not make it past elementary school I still have an appreciation for all that ballet represents and inspires. Above all, it is the juxtaposition of the precise footwork and the luscious softness and colors of the costumes that has held my attention all this time. Fashion designers frequently use ballet as a source of inspiration for their collections due to its timeless femininity and sophistication. Of course you probably should not wear a leotard and tutu when walking to class, although there are a lot of subtle ways you can incorporate ballet into your wardrobe. Check out my top five ballet inspired pieces and try them out for yourself:

1. Ballet Flats: I wear ballet flats every day, regardless of the weather or what is currently trendy in the fashion industry. They are simple and versatile enough to go with everything you own. Invest in one or two staple pairs to add to your wardrobe.

2. Tulle Skirt: The classic Carrie Bradshaw tutu. This look has made a major comeback in the last few years. The easiest way to pull it off without looking like you walked out of a ballet class or costume party is to pair the skirt with a simple, form fitting top or sweater. Also, opt for longer skirts over shorter ones.

3. Pale Pink Nail Polish: You probably own a bottle or two of these, but there is something about pale pink nail polish that makes you feel like a ballerina. Essie’s “Ballet Slippers” is always a great option.

4. Neutral T-Shirts and Sweaters: This may not sound like your typical ballet attire but ballet is all about simplicity. Pair your skirts and pants with simple white, black, grey or camel colored shirts.

5. Pastel Shift Dresses: Not all ballet inspired pieces have to be soft and flowing. Structured pastel dresses draw inspiration from the methodical precision that is required for the footwork.

Ballet supports the idea that less is more. We can take that concept and translate it into not only fashion but our lives in general. Ballet is all about confidence and expressing your emotions. Like myself, you may not be a soloist at the American Ballet Theatre but you can still take that sense of confidence and desire for simplicity and translate it into everything you wear.

Abigail is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. She is majoring in Retail Merchandising and Management with a concentration in Fashion Marketing and has a double minor in Business Administration and Spanish. Aside from being a Style Writer for Her Campus, she is involved with Campus Crusade for Christ (CRU) and Street Level Ministries. In her spare time she enjoys collecting art, watching Hallmark movies with family and friends, and going on adventures. 
Her Campus at UW-Stout