This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

It’s no surprise that the eyelash industry has expanded dramatically over the past few years considering that they can amp up any makeup look, which might be great for an important event where you’ll want those fluttery lashes looking full and luscious. But what if there was some way you could have amazing lashes without the look and weight of heavy fake lashes?

Oh, that’s right – there is a way! There are thousands of different eyelash growth enhancers to help quicken the process of growing your own lashes, but they can cost hundreds of dollars and some have serious risks. On the other hand, home remedies can save you a lot of money and don’t have the harsh chemicals that other products might have. Try these simple and easy recipes with products that you most likely already have laying around the house!

Before you start rubbing random house products anywhere near your beautiful eyes and lashes it’s important to understand the science behind how these home remedies work. Just like the hair on the top of your head, the only way to grow long and thick hair is to nourish it. Giving your hair the right nutrients topically and even having a healthy diet will help stimulate the hairs and make them grow faster. Now, apply that same logic to your eyelashes. Although everyone’s hair growth rate will be different, don’t get frustrated when you try these remedies and don’t see results the next day. It will typically take until the next cycle of lashes to see a difference as these ingredients are helping to strengthen and stimulate the follicles with every use.

The ingredients:

1. Olive Oil

Appling olive oil to your lashes will help them grow longer and stronger. It has many great uses between your hair and skin as well, but will work wonders on your lashes. It’s rich in nutrients that your lashes are desperately calling for. Use about a tablespoon amount of your favorite olive oil and apply to clean and makeup-free lashes. You can use less if you plan to apply before mascara.

2. Castor Oil

Castor oil is a great oil to not only put in your hair but also great for your skin too. Castor oil has lots of nutrients that aid in strengthening, growing, and creating beautiful thick and full lashes. Apply to clean and makeup free lashes using about a tablespoon.

3. Lemon Peels

For this recipe, cut the peel off the lemon into strips to make it easier to apply to your lashes and first set the peels in a small bowl of olive or castor oil for a few days. The different nutrients, minerals, and vitamins will help lengthen and thicken your lashes!

4. Aloe Vera

Although aloe vera’s most well-known use is for treating sunburns, it actually has been shown to help your hair and eyelashes grow faster. It is recommended to use it in its natural state, which means buying a plant and cutting it open to reveal the aloe. If that isn’t an option for you, purchasing the most organic bottle will be a close option that will do basically the same job. Leave it on overnight and rinse it off in the morning.

5. Green Tea

Adding green tea leaves to warm water and then applying it to your lashes will promote healthy lash growth and make them long, thicker, and stronger. Green tea leaves are full of nutrients that lashes need to grow.

6. Petroleum Jelly

Pure petroleum jelly if applied to your lashes regularly at night not only helps them grow faster but makes them thicker and stronger. Apply a small amount of the jelly to your clean and makeup free lashes.

Other factors that will make a dramatic difference over time to create beautiful lashes are the removal of all of your eye makeup at the end of the day, and even skipping eye makeup altogether at least one day out of the week. By removing the makeup at night before bed, it gives your lashes a rest because the mascara and makeup is very heavy and weighs the lashes down and also causes a blockage so the lashes cannot “breathe.” Lastly, your diet is an extremely crucial part of having the lashes of your dreams. Just like your overall health, eating healthy foods and having a balanced diet will boost the health of your eyes and eyelashes. Apples, guavas, green vegetables, eggs, meat, and fish are great foods that will help your lashes. Taking vitamins daily will also aid in growing out your lashes.

Whatever ingredient you chose, creating a proper routine for your eyelashes will make them healthier and happier. Simply apply the ingredients to clean and makeup free lashes and leave on for about 10 minutes. Wash the product away gently and repeat nightly. Get your beauty sleep and watch as your eyelashes become healthier, stronger, longer, and thicker quickly! 

Hello! My name is Elizabeth Jacobson, but most people call me Liz for short. I am a sophomore this year at UW-Stout to get my Bachelors degree in Business Administration. I plan to have an emphasis in entrepreneurship so that after college I can pursue my dreams of owning my own store. I have a passion for writing. I love new ideas, meeting new people, and exploring different things in life. 
Her Campus at UW-Stout