ekaterina shevchenko ZLTlHeKbh04 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ekaterina shevchenko ZLTlHeKbh04 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

9 Eco-Friendly Alternatives to Wrapping Paper

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

With the holiday season fast approaching, many people spend their free time shopping for the perfect gifts for everyone. Along with finding the right gift, comes presenting it perfectly. Most people elect to use wrapping paper because it is cheap, convenient, and comes in a wide variety of cute and creative designs. Even though wrapping paper is convenient, it isn’t the best option for the environment. Wrapping paper is made from wood pulp that comes from softwood trees, like cedar, Douglas fir, juniper, pine, and redwood. Logging practices vary greatly, and it’s not always known if your wrapping paper comes from sustainable logging practices or not. 

Wrapping paper alternatives are a great way to creatively present your gift, and are better for the environment. Most alternatives can be made from items lying around at home, and they can be reused each year.  

Cloth/Fabric

The Japanese practice furoshiki, which is the art of wrapping gifts using fabric. There are many different techniques of furoshiki, ranging from simple to very complex. Fabric is a great way to wrap an odd-shaped gift. If you are giving someone a shirt, socks, or a scarf, why not use it to wrap other gifts?

Here’s a guide on how to wrap a gift using furoshiki technique: https://www.1millionwomen.com.au/blog/how-furoshiki-japanese-fabric-wrap…

Gift Bags

Gift bags are great for small and medium-sized items, and for fragile items. The bag can also be reused next year, and the year after, and the year after, until the bag falls apart or someone gets tired of seeing the same bag.

Large Gifts

If you’re giving someone a purse, backpack, make-up bag, or some other box/bag item, why not put smaller items inside? It’s a nice surprise for the recipient, and a 2-for-1 deal for you. Small items that work great for this include gift cards, make-up, chocolate, candy, and jewelry. 

Newspaper

Newspaper is a classy way to wrap a gift. You can either use the comics or the story pages, depending on your recipient and the mood. At a fun, lively party with all your friends? Use the comics! Wrapping a gift for kids? Use the comics! Exchanging gifts with your significant other during a quiet, romantic evening? Use the story pages! 

Brown Paper Bags

Brown paper bags can be picked up at grocery stores or other retail stores, and can either be used whole or cut up and used as wrapping paper. If you’re cutting them up for wrapping paper, you can decorate the outside or you can have kids draw on the outside as a fun present for grandparents or parents. 

Old Maps

Have some old maps lying around, collecting dust? They can be turned into creative wrapping paper. Use a map of a place is special to the recipient as a nice, thoughtful touch to the gift. 

Old Calendar Pages

As with the maps, old calendars can be cut and used for wrapping paper.

Mason Jars/Baby Food Jars

These work great for edible gifts, and the jars can be reused after. My family used to gift brownie mix in mason jars, but hot cocoa mix, cake mix, and homemade treats are also great. 

Check out this recipe for brownies in a jar: https://www.chelseasmessyapron.com/mason-jar-gift-double-chocolate-brown… or check out this recipe for hot cocoa mix in a jar: http://lovegrowswild.com/2015/11/homemade-hot-chocolate-mix/ 

Environmentally-Friendly Wrapping Paper 

If you absolutely have to use wrapping paper for your gifts, there are environmentally-friendly wrapping papers available. Of the Earth is a company that sells biodegradable wrapping paper made from Lotka. Lotka comes from the bark of the Daphne Bush, and is made in Nepal. The Daphne bush grows back after it has been harvested, and is used in a variety of ways. The paper can be reused or planted after you are done using it. Lotka paper comes in a variety of colors, either solid or prints. A 20″ x 30″ sheet is $4.00. 

Fish Lips Paper and Fabric is a company that sells recycled wrapping paper and fabric gifts. All paper is 100% recycled, with a minimum of 50% post-consumer waste. They use non-toxic, soy-based ink, and all products are made in the U.S. A 22″ x 33.75″ sheet of recycled wrapping paper is $3.50. 

You can find Of the Earth products here: http://www.custompaper.com/papers/gift_wrap/gift_wrap.html and you can find Fish Lips products here: http://www.fishlipspaperdesigns.com/holiday.html 

When everyone else is using unsustainable, boring wrapping paper, make your gift stand out with one of these creative, environmentally-friendly wrapping paper alternatives! 

Katherine Vogel

UW Stout '21

A native Minnesotan, Katie is a junior at UW-Stout. She is majoring in Interior Design and minoring in Sustainability. She plays the French Horn in the UW-Stout band. When she is back home, Katie loves traveling around Minnesota, spending time with her family, practicing archery and pistol shooting, trap shooting, and going horseback riding.
Her Campus at UW-Stout