5 Truths About Having a Pixie Cut

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Girls with pixie cuts are in a special imaginary club where almost everyone can relate to some very specific facts. This being my second time with the short hairstyle, I consider myself somewhat of an expert. If you have one now or had the chop previously, you will likely be nodding your head vigorously to at least a couple of these.

1. It can be super low-maintenance. Well…except for all of the haircuts.

To keep your pixie cut looking polished, frequent haircuts are a must. Even if you’re growing it out, waiting longer than about 4-5 weeks between cuts can put you in mullet territory. Unless you’re Rihanna, this is typically best avoided at all costs.

2. You’re super picky about who cuts your hair.

When your hair is super short, mistakes can be extremely obvious and might require you to go even shorter than you anticipated. Once you find a hairstylist that understands what you want and can execute it perfectly, it’s hard to trust anyone else. The good news is that it grows back quickly!

3. You have a love/hate relationship with hats.

For the most part, hats are your best friend. They look chic and can make your already short hair styling routine even shorter. However, some styles (especially baseball caps) can become difficult to pull off.

4. Some people make assumptions about you.

Because stereotypes. Although this isn’t an insult by any means, it can still be frustrating when people think that they know who you are just based on your appearance. Luckily pixie cuts have become more popular in recent years and are worn by a wide variety of women, so only a small handful of people still hold onto this idea.

5. You stand out.

Without hair to hide behind, people can really see you. Even though the pixie cut has become more common, it’s definitely still going to catch the eye in a crowd. You’ve probably received compliments from at least one random stranger!

I'm a Criminal Justice and Rehabilitation major at the University of Wisconsin - Stout who enjoys dancing, thought-provoking movies, and anything that involves zombies.
Her Campus at UW-Stout