5 Outfits to Inspire Your Valentine’s Day Look

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

When styling an outfit for Valentine’s Day, it’s important to look for items that aren’t too literal. This means avoiding those red and pink pom-pom headbands, (no matter how cute they are). Instead pick out pieces that incorporate the colors in a more sophisticated way.  Choose items that have a great fit with interesting prints.

Day

Whether you plan on spending the day with friends or just running errands, you can sport a mature Valentine’s Day look. Skip over the childish smiling heart t-shirts you used to wear as a kid. Instead, look at shirts with graphic prints that emulate the holiday. To keep the outfit from looking to sweet, style it with a trendy pair a boots and a leather jacket. Accessorize with a bold colored bag.

Night In

If like myself, you plan on spending your Valentine’s Day at home. You may also find yourself crawling into your bed a little bit earlier to watch a movie. But just because you didn’t make plans to go out doesn’t mean you can’t feel good in what you’re wearing. Turn your evening into a pamper night and treat yourself. Slip into a cute pair of printed pajamas and cozy slipper before you enjoy a facial mask as you watch chick flicks.

Girls Night

Who better to spend the day with then the people you care about the most, your best friends.  A night out with the girls is always a good time. To keep your look fun, try mixing prints. This is a great way to make an outfit young and modern. Pair a fitted top with a flared skirt that pulls away from the body, giving your body some shape. Add a statement necklace on top to give it the final touch.

Party

For a party, I recommend being much more daring. Try a romper with some floral or lace details. Make sure to add a belt to cinch in the waist so you don’t lose your hourglass shape.  Because the garment is so detailed, keep the accessories to a minimum. Instead pick only one piece to add some interest. Because it’s still cold, wear a pair of opaque tights to keep it in season. To give the look an edge, style with boots that have some studs.

Date

For a date I suggest bumping up the glam a couple notches. Go for sophisticated pieces that still have a little sex appeal. Look for a dress that is structured throughout the body and nips in at middle. By keeping the chest slightly covered, the emphasis will instead be fixed on the smallest part of you, your waist. A pair of unique earrings will also help to bring the attention to your face. Pick a classic black stiletto that will help your legs to appear long and lean.

What’s Most Important…

No matter what you are doing on February 14, you should be wearing something that makes you feel beautiful. Valentine’s Day isn’t just about showing others that you care about them, but taking a moment to show you love yourself. Make sure to take the time and appreciate yourself for the person you are. Your clothing should make you feel comfortable in your skin and nothing else. That’s why whatever you wear should make you feel beautiful and confident.

Olivia is a Professional Communications in Emerging Media student at the University of Wisconsin - Stout. Currently the Campus Correspondent for Stout's chapter, she hopes to find a career in journalism. Originally from Milwaukee, Olivia has put her city life on hold to follow her dreams. You can follow her at her Instagram or blog, Olivia Marie.
Her Campus at UW-Stout