books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

4 Facts to Know if You Transfer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Being a transfer student has taught me many things: how to be flexible, how to be a quick learner, and how to accept change. Don’t get me wrong; I am jealous of college students who stay at their first college and graduate in  four years, without changing their major. Although that life sounds ideal to most, it is not a reality for everyone. Here are four things I have learned as a transfer student.

Change Always Happens

In life (not just in college), it is okay to change your mind and try something new. No one has the authority to hold you to a decision you made in your junior or senior year of high school. Maybe your major was not what you hoped it would be, or maybe your college wasn’t everything you expected. Once you realize and come to peace with that fact, it makes the rest of the process so much easier!

You Can and Will Make New Friends

In life, you will meet many different people. Colleges are generally good about ensuring that you find a community of people with similar interests as you to make your college experience more enjoyable. I can guarantee that you will make friends if you put yourself out there.  Which brings me to my next point . . .

Put Yourself Out There!

Usually, coming to a new school means that you will encounter people who have already formed solid relationships with others before you’ve arrived. This can make it extra difficult to find where you belong, therefore you need to put in extra effort to making connections. Go to club fairs, socials, ask questions in class, go to office hours, etc. You will meet lots of people, and make lifelong friends before you know it!

It Will Get Better

At the end of the day, it can be hard adjusting to a new school, new program, and new teachers. You just have to remind yourself that it is only temporary, face each day with a positive attitude, and enjoy your college years before they’re over!

Vanessa studies Early Childhood Education at the University of Wisconsin- Stout. She hails from southeastern Minnesota and currently lives with her fiance in Wisconsin. She is the proud dog mom of 2 fur babies, Marley and Daisy.
Her Campus at UW-Stout