10 Signs You Don’t Belong in a Small Town

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

1.     You drive to other towns to find something to do

If you can’t think of anything to do, your only option is to drive to areas that do have things going on. For instance, there is nothing to do in Menomonie, obviously, so we go to Eau Claire for fun.

2.     There are only a few bars and restaurants that you’re sick of eating at

Of course the town bars and restaurants have good food, but when you eat there every day, the meals begin to get harder and harder to get down. 

3.     You don’t like seeing people you know every time you go to the store

Sometimes you need to run to the store quick, so you don’t want to spend time getting ready. It is every girls nightmare to see a cute boy or someone they know when they leave the house looking like Shrek. 

4.     You don’t appreciate everyone knowing your name and information

Everyone appreciates having a few good friends that know everything about you, but when the whole town knows about you, you feel uncomfortable.

5.     You are forced to shop online because there are no stores in sight

Because there aren’t malls or many cute botique stores, you are forced to shop online and most likely end up picking the wrong sizes. 

6.     You’re jealous of your friends that go to school in a big city

Oh, your friend goes to Madison or U of M, where there are a million things to do? Cool, you go Glenn Coco.

7.     You are mildly freaked out when you see farm animals while passing through a town

If you’re from a large town, you aren’t used to seeing farm animals while you “pass” through town, so when you do, you may be a little frightened or concerned.

8.     You’re not the most creative, but have to be because you’re convinced there is nothing to do in a small town

When you have everything done and finally have free time, you may find it very hard to come up with something to do.

9.     Barely anything is open 24 hours

When you pull an all nighter because you decided to hold off on your project all semester, you may get the midnight munchies, but unfortunately, nothing is open to satisfy your needs.

10.   Rumors and gossip travel faster than lightning 

You better watch every move you make, because if you don’t, you’re in trouble, and the whole town will know your mistake/mistakes. 

Hi, I am a Junior at UW-Stout and I am in the PCEM major with a concentration in Journalism.
Her Campus at UW-Stout