What I Thought of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

I’m a self-proclaimed Harry Potter nerd (and I’m not ashamed to say it!). So naturally, I was thrilled when I found out about the Fantastic Beasts movie, and I had pretty high expectations. After seeing the movie (twice–oops), here’s my honest (and spoiler-free) opinion.

What I Loved:

It was different

As I said, I’m a Harry Potter nerd. And despite reading (and rereading) and watching (and rewatching) all of the original books and movies, I never would have predicted the way this film went. Although the spells, the beasts, and the overall magical feel are all familiar, Fantastic Beasts stands apart from the Potter series, and I think almost anyone would enjoy it.

The characters

From the shy and quirky Newt to dorky but endearing Mr. Kowalski, I couldn’t help but get invested in the characters. Even without Ron, Harry, or Hermione anywhere to be found, the heroes were lovable and I can’t wait to see more of them!

The beasts

While certain magical creature were referenced throughout the Potter books, this movie lets us see them in a whole new way. They were big, exciting, and basically characters of their own. The beasts certainly were fantastic and did not disappoint. Also, I really want a pet niffler.

It was exciting

The film is an adventure from start to finish. There were twists and turns I didn’t expect, and I was at the edge of my seat the entire time.

What I Disliked:

It was a little confusing

This movie is jam-packed–there are lots of different storylines weaving throughout, and a wide cast of characters–and this was a little overwhelming, especially the first time. Although some of these details were probably included to set us up for upcoming movies in the series, it was a bit tricky to keep everything straight.

Some plotlines were left unresolved

Without giving anything away, I felt as though I needed more closure on certain sub-stories than I got by the end of the film. Not in a cliffhanger sort of way, just in a left-unfinished sort of way.

Final Thoughts:

Overall, I thought that this movie was fantastic (pun absolutely intended). If you have any interest in Harry Potter (or even if you don’t!) I would definitely recommend seeing it. Just don’t forget–as cute as they are, nifflers aren’t approved house pets, so don’t get too attached.

Anne is a junior at UW-La Crosse studying Broadcast and Digital Media Communication and Graphic Design. When she isn't busy studying or writing for Her Campus, Anne loves music, photography, drawing, and painting. Also, naps.