Things To Do This Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

Despite the pressure of impending finals, I know that we are all dreaming about winter break plans. Whether you’re planning on taking a class, working a job back home, or spending some quality time with your couch, the time always goes by faster than expected. Whatever you’ll be doing, try to squeeze in some of the following ideas. From practical to silly, they’ll help you make the most of winter break this year!

1. Visit old friends

Surprise an old friend by asking to meet up for lunch or coffee. Even if aren’t very close with high school friends anymore, it can still be fun to visit, catch up, and reminisce about old memories, and it will make them feel great to know that you’re still thinking of them. Outside of potential class reunions down the road, this might be one of your only chances to see these people. And–be honest– at least a tiny part of you is curious about the latest hometown gossip.

2. Do a winter thing

I know I’m always disappointed in myself when I stay completely shut up in the house all winter long. Brave the cold and go sledding, skiing, ice skating, snowman-building . . . the possibilities are endless. Even if you aren’t a winter person (i.e. me) it can be fun to go out in the snow every once in awhile. Plus, then you have the perfect excuse to go buy your favorite hot Starbucks drink when you’re done.

3. Clean

We all have that one area that’s constantly disorganized, whether it’s the closet, your backpack, or even the files on your computer. Use your extra time to clear out the junk and get everything organized. It’s not a lot of fun, but next semester when you are in the thick of tests and projects, it’ll be comforting to know that at least one part of your life is in order.

4. Do an art project

Be a kid again and get artsy! Head to Pinterest for arts and crafts ideas and harness your inner Van Gogh. You can make a craft that has a functional purpose or just make something for fun. Either way, arts and crafts are a fun stress reliever that most of us don’t have time for during the school months.

5. Read a good book

Reading for pleasure is yet another thing that so many of us would love to but don’t have time for in the midst of normal classes. Check out a book you’ve been dying to read, or ask someone for a recommendation. What could be more wintery than curling up with a blanket and a good book?

6. Make your favorite food

Take the time to bake your favorite treat or create an extravagant meal. You have the time to do it, it will taste amazing, and (hopefully) you won’t have to buy the ingredients (thanks, Mom and Dad)!

7. Keep up with your email

No fun, I know. But you’ll be thanking yourself when you get back to campus if you stay on top of your emails, and if you are unlucky enough to get a professor who assigns homework due on the first day of classes, this is a good thing to know ahead of time.

8. Sleep in

As if you weren’t already planning on doing this, right? Don’t waste away your entire break sleeping, but allow yourself to catch up on some much-needed rest to recharge for next semester.

9. Write thank-you notes

Writing thank you cards seems to be a somewhat forgotten art, but I know I’m always pleasantly surprised when I receive a letter after giving a present. Surprise your friends and family with heartfelt notes after this holiday season, thanking them for gifts and letting them know how much they mean to you. It will make them feel appreciated and you’ll feel good, too.

10. Do that thing on your to do list

We all have that one thing that we’ve been meaning to take care of for months. If you don’t do it now, you probably never will, and it feels so good to have those little things finally taken care of.

11.  Cherish time with family

It’s easy to curl up in your room and watch Netfilx for all of break (after all, what are you expected to do with so much free time?). But avoid the temptation and spend some quality time with the friends and family you don’t get to see all the time. Even something as simple as watching TV in the same room as the family rather than by yourself in your bedroom will show them that you care about them and want to spend time together. The holidays are all about family and friends, and you need to make the most of the limited time you have with them (and go back to watching Netfilx by yourself once you get back to school).

Anne is a junior at UW-La Crosse studying Broadcast and Digital Media Communication and Graphic Design. When she isn't busy studying or writing for Her Campus, Anne loves music, photography, drawing, and painting. Also, naps.