This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

I love writing. I really do! The lack of writing I’ve actually done would certainly tell you otherwise, but here I am, a proud writer. However, I never willingly call myself as such. Why is that? No really, why is that?

I think it has to do with the fact that I don’t actively practice the art of writing enough. I always think about coming back to it, how I should be putting words on a page – no matter digital or physical – and when I don’t do that I can’t possibly consider myself a writer. The reason I don’t actively write is that I never know what to write about.

I tried just straight up writing for a while using the idea of “morning pages,” but that didn’t stick. And I know the idea of writer’s block is really just a self- inflicted disease, but it’s hard to push past. I felt I needed to write about something more meaningful. I’ve been thinking so long about the fact that I can’t push past my writer’s block that when I finally decide to write something ‘meaningful’ – i.e. something that moderately has a message – it’s about my writer’s block. How ironic.

But hey, this means I’m pushing past it, write? Excuse me – right? Maybe broadening my horizons would help – writing more creatively or on the flip side more literally. 

Any ideas?

Lauren is a sophomore at UW-La Crosse studying communications, business administration, and digital studies and design. In her rare spare time she enjoys reading, hiking, listening to music, and anything to do with Harry Potter or coffee.