How To Make Oktoberfest Extra Special This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

1. Invite some of your hometown friends, too.

When your friends go to other universities, arguing that your college’s homecomings, concerts, and festivals reign grand supreme becomes a regular occurance. The only way to settle this and have a memorable, unforgettable time doing so? Bring them to Oktoberfest! If you do it right, they’re sure to be talking about it for years to come (+ reunion sleepover party?!——-yes, please!)

2. Participate in the Buddy System (Yes, like the one in elementary school)

With the crowds of people that attend this festivial, it’s common to lose sight of your friends, whether for a short period of time or just long enough to call them an excessive amount, it’s important to use the buddy system. Being an out-of-towner or even someone that goes to UWL and knows the city well, it’s scary to be left alone (+ you can’t trust every (drunk) person out there). Make sure everyone marks up with someone else within the group and makes it routine to go every where together (there’s a reason girls always pair up to go to the bathroom). Although it’s quite simple to run away from your friends, it’s much more fun to make memories together.

3. Go To All The Festivities You Can

It’s super easy to get caught up in the weeknd and miss all that’s going on—-especially since there’s a lot to miss. Check out the official Oktoberfest website (link below) to be sure to hit it all! Keep in mind some events require preordered tickets as well! https://www.oktoberfestusa.com

4. Get Matching Shirts With Your Friends (And Mix and Match)

Purchasing a $20 t-shirt can seem like quite a bit for a broke college student who could buy a significant amount of food or alcohol with that money instead, but it’s totally worth it! Create your own shirts or buy premade ones from other friends and have fun adding your own flare to them. You can even have your friends buy different shirts so you can swap throughout the weekend—always having something new and fun to wear.

5. Experience The Culture

Listening to music that gets you in tune with the German culture has never been easier! Just check out different stations on Spotify and Pandora that are bound to get you dancing around your kitchen, excited for the rest of the day, whether you’re making breakfast or taking a shower. Also, be sure to stop at different bands along the way (at the Oktoberfest grounds or surrounding area on Saturday) and appreciate all the talent. Partake in any other cultural experiences you can too—food, etc. It’s an awesome way to feel apart of the festivial weekend.

6. Go To The Maple Leaf Parade On Saturday

One of the saddest things to me about Oktoberfest is lack of college students that know about the Saturday parade. To them, it’s all about the house parties and hopping dowtown scene but to me, the Maple Leaf Parade is an all time favorite tradition. With an upbeat atmosphere and people of all ages, there’s an undeniable energy that is impossible to feel anything but pure happiness around. With lots of tents staked out next to the parade route, various games, food, and beverages fill the air. Although it’s known to last several hours long, you will most likely lose track of time as you and your friends absorb all there is to take in.

7. Find Things To Do Outside

Even though past years are known to be chilly, remember to spend time in the fresh air! Between lawn game, the Oktoberfest grounds, etc. there’s so much to do without having to stay stuffed up indoors! Granted this is usually one of the last decent weather weekends in area before it gets cold, force yourself to enjoy it. Skip the parties and activities inside—-you won’t regret it!