How to De-Stress in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

There are numerous amounts of stress in college. Whether it be school, work, or relationships, there is almost always something stressing you out. With college being such a vital time in your life and the necessity to do well is huge, learning how to properfly de-stress and relax is important. Here are 6 ways to “find your chill”

1. Take a Walk: La Crosse is a beautiful city with many different scenic spots. With the bluffs, the marsh, the river, and downtown, you will most definitely find a spot where you feel the most serene. Each offers different aspects that calm people in different ways. The bluffs give you gorgeous scenery and the feeling of being on top of the world, literally. The marsh(during the summer) is full of life and is spectacularly green. The river is always beautiful no matter the time of year and downtown has so many wonderful coffee shops, boutiques and restaurants that you will be able to find some place that gives you the relaxtion you want and need. 
  2. Have a Jam Sesh: Listening to some of my favorite music always pumps me up. Whether your favorite genre is pop, country, or rap, blast your music and watch your worries start to fade away. Don’t forget to dance and sing along if you feel like it. If you want to make it a party, grab some friends and just let loose. If you really want to amp up your jam sessions, invest in a shower speaker. They are decently priced on Amazon and can majorly help with de-stressing. 
  3. Get Crafty: Whether that be coloring, doodling, or trying out your latest pinterest find, get crafty and take a quick trip to your local Hobby Lobby. Hobby Lobby has everything a crafty person could ever dream of. Want to take up knitting? They’ve got you covered. Scrapbooking? No problem. Painting a canvas? You betcha. 
  4. Treat Yo Self: If there’s one thing being a girl has taught me, it’s that chocolate can solve a lot of problems. When you’re stressed, try eating some ice cream or a candy bar. While it may not be the healthiest option in terms of calories, the chocolate for sure helps relieve stress. If sweets aren’t your thing, treat your self to a new shirt or something else that you’ve been wanting for awhile. 
  5. Exercise: Running, playing a sport, or lifting also helps relieve stress a ton. The endorphins that are released when you exercise actually help lift your mood and make you feel better. It’s even better to kill two birds with one stone and skip the treadmill and go for a run outside. You will find beautiful scenery and sweat the stress right out. 
  6. Go to an Animal Shelter: Seeing and being around pets always makes me feel better. If you are feeling low and really want to feel better, get some friends and go to your local animal shelter to volunteer. You’ll get to play with the animals while earning volunteer hours. It’s a win win!
Sophomore at UW La Crosse majoring in Biomedical Sciences