Campus Celebrity: Let’s Get Up and Running: Tyler Heinz

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

The city of La Crosse and surrounding communities are beautifully nestled between the rolling bluffs and mighty Mississippi River. One prevalent form of exercise is hiking and running on the many trails that occupy the area. Tyler Heinz is no stranger to the trails as he discovered a passion for running early as a child and always dreamt of opening his own business. A native of Eau Claire, Wisconsin and a May 2014 graduate of UW-La Crosse, made that dream a reality last spring in the midst of finals when he opened Grand Bluff Running.

What was your major/minor? What inspired you to pursue a degree in this career?

My Marketing degree stemmed from my passion to find/develop ways to increase and create value for products and services to the consumer.  I find the relationship between business and consumer fascinating and am most interested in the idea and concept of creating and maintaining a brand personality for a business. Spanish on the other hand started off as a “fun” class every semester for me, but quickly turned into a way that I could expand my ability to travel as well as learn more about other cultures and countries around the world.

What is your favorite part about UW-La Crosse and the La Crosse community?

My favorite part about campus as well as the community is the range of opportunities that exist for outdoor recreation. I love the Midwest laid back attitude and how willing members of the community and campus are to help each other out and work toward common goals , such as making the area a better place through expanding physical activity opportunities.

When did you discover a passion for running? What did you enjoy most about running? What did you dislike or find to be difficult about running?

I first discovered a passion for running while playing soccer in Elementary School. I began running community 5K races with my dad and ultimately quit soccer to pursue running in High School and through college. I most enjoy the solitude found during running. Even if I am running with friends, it feels amazing to get away from the craziness of everyday life and explore. Running reaches a new level of enjoyment when you are in great shape, but on the other side, is most challenging when you’re pushing yourself to become faster. Overall, it is the feeling of accomplishment after every run that keeps me coming back for more.

What motivated you to start your own business? Have you always dreamt of owning a business?

I have always wanted to start my own business of some sort. My first business idea was to plant and sell maple trees in my front yard. I would grow seeds into saplings and sit out front at a table in hopes of selling the trees to neighbors. I think one person bought a tree from me, and from then on, I knew that I wanted to create my own career regardless of what field it was in. For the running store, I owe most of my gratitude to my wife, professors and family who encouraged me to pursue my passions of running and entrepreneurship in this business.

How did you manage balancing classes while simultaneously working on business plans for Grand Bluff Running?

Balancing classes and opening the store was one of the most difficult obstacles I have ever had to overcome. It started off that I would focus mainly on school and work on the business plan on the side. By then end of my time at UWL, I found myself spending more and more time on the business and sometimes needing to take a step back to refocus on classes. I think that this shift in focus is what made me certain that I had made the right choice, because it showed that I was more passionate about this than anything else I had ever been a part of before.

If you could go back and re-do the planning and initial process of creating your business, what (if anything) would you do differently?

I would start writing the business plan earlier and work harder on it in the beginning stages. With balancing school and opening a business, it is always best to do both school work and entrepreneurial work as far in advance as possible. Being a chronic procrastinator has definitely made the process more difficult and I would work on changing these habits earlier on.

What would you like to tell people who are not familiar with your business? Is it only for runners?     

Grand Bluff Running is not only for runners, we also cater to walkers and anyone who spends time on their feet and wants their footwear, apparel and accessories to support their active lifestyles. One thing that makes us different from everyone else around is our fit process. With everyone who comes in looking for shoes, we start by sizing their feet, placing them in the correct size shoe, then taking them through a slow motion, video gait analysis where we can match their foot and stride type to a category of shoes. We then bring out multiple options that would be most appropriate for the individual and work to find the one that works and feels best to them personally. It is this process that sets us apart and our knowledge of the products that ensures that you get the best fit every time.

Aside from selling merchandise at Grand Bluff Running, you also have weekly group runs that individuals in the community can partake in. What is typically the length of these group runs and how can individuals who are interested get involved?

Every Monday night we host a group run, with a new special group run series happening once a month. The group runs that we put on are for anyone and everyone. We have groups going 3, 5, and 7 miles on most weeks and have recently started a walking group that has been leaving the store with us. The best way to find out more about our group runs and in-store events are on our website at www.grandbluffrunning.com and on our Facebook page at facebook.com/grandbluffrunning.

What advice would you give to someone who has dreams of starting their own business?

Start with your passion in daily life, find a way for it to become your career and don’t be afraid to fail. I know it sounds cliché, but think about what you do while you’re procrastinating and ask yourself if this is something that can become your job. For me, it was running and learning more about the sport.