Campus Celebrity: Caity Spitzack

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

Name: Caitlyn Spitzack

Graduation date: May 2014

Major/minor: Interpersonal Communication major and Professional/Organizational Communication minor

Favorite thing about communication studies: My favorite thing is that it applies to your life, everyday! I’m constantly applying theories and analyzing situations using techniques and info from my Comm classes.

What do you miss the most about La Crosse?

I miss the college community and my friends. I miss our old plans and traditions. I miss having an excuse to be irresponsible!

Where are you living now?

I live in Highland Park, St. Paul, MN.

What do you love most about living in Highland Park?

I like the convince of everything around me and city feel. I moved here 6 months after I graduated and it felt great. Seemed like a good way to start a new chapter.

What do you like to do in your free time?

In my free time I visit my family back home or my boyfriend in Nebraska. I’ll work out, read or go to the bar lol. I notice having a lot more time to do whatever now that homework is no longer a part of my life.

What are you doing for work? What is your title and your specific duties/tasks?

I am a Coordinator for Cossetta Eventi. We cater weddings and funerals, graduations, corporate company luncheons and flights, community events and to private customers. I work with people and help to put together menus and hook them up with service providers. I also visit the sites and assist in running events.

How useful has your communication degree been in learning how to do your job and fulfill the job requirements?

My degree has been very helpful at my work. I am not always surrounded by professionalism and k owing what I learned from my studies helps my to analyze and gauge a situation so I can act accordingly..it’s hard to think of specific examples but I know I utilize my degree every day. And people make comments about my good listening and organization.

What was the most difficult part about the transition from college life to the work world? Honestly, the most difficult thing about the transition has been not having the social life I use to! Gosh, miss the streets of lacrosse. Other than that…people say you realize how tiring it is working 40 hrs a week…I don’t see it. Unless I just have that many endorphins or that much stamina I don’t think it’s any different than the way we treat ourselves in school. For example when students stay up late. I just can’t take those naps anymore. I think it’s all about routine and priorities.

Any tips on getting a job post-college? Just keeeeeeeep applying. I applied to probably 45 places starting in April of 2014. I turned down two offers and then accepted this job in August. Enjoy the time in between. I worked my fun summer jobs and lived for free in my parents basement and a good number of my friends were also home, so you make the best of it. Even if you are poor…we’re used to that, ha.