Audrey Hepburn’s Best-Known Movies Ranked

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

Roman Holiday

The perfect romantic comedy. Delightfully funny. Cathartic and beautiful. There isn’t much more praise I can give it. Do not wait for the next rom-com to come out… the best one ever already exists.

1000000/10

The Nun’s Story

It’s a little long, but it’s interesting and very well done… excellent even. I forget it’s Audrey; she completely disappears into the role. Audrey’s character, Gabrielle, is amazingly complex and wonderful. The description of the movie ruins the ending, so don’t look up anything about it before watching.

13/10

Wait Until Dark

Audrey plays a blind lady who fights thieves for heroin. Okay, it’s more nuanced than that, but that’s basically what it is, and it’s great.

12/10

Funny Face

The basis of the first part of the movie is that Audrey’s character thinks she has a funny face and can’t believe she could be a model which is sort of unbelievable since she’s easily one of the most beautiful women to have ever lived. Her love interest is also Fred Astaire, who’s great, but he’s also 30 years older than her. However, her love interests in Roman Holiday and Sabrina are also older than her too. It’s a sweet movie though. The choreography is good, the sets and the costumes are beautiful, and the story is fun. It was better than I thought it was going to be.

9/10

War and Peace

It’s really long, so I had to watch it in parts, but it’s still good. They kind of lost me a little bit when Audrey’s character Natasha chose that stalker creep over her prince (however briefly) and the later third is heavily war-laden, but it’s solid and pretty good for a tragedy.

7.5/10

Breakfast at Tiffany’s

I think there’s a lot of people out there who like to quote random lines from this movie, especially the “people don’t belong to people” line from Audrey’s character Holly Golightly, but they must not have seen it because less than a minute later, we find out that it’s the movie’s theme that people should belong to each other, and Audrey ends up with Paul (and Cat). Anyway, it’s a great movie, but it’s clouded by what these people who haven’t even seen it have made it into. Don’t quote a movie if you haven’t seen it.

7/10

Sabrina

It’s fine. I’m only not ranking it higher because I wish Sabrina, the character, played a more active role in events and her own development. It’s still cute though and pretty funny.

7/10

My Fair Lady

I completely understand that her voice is supposed to be annoying in the first 1/3 of the movie, yet that doesn’t make me tolerate it any more. Plus, it was a lot longer than it needed to be and the linguistic aspect of it (like the fact that suddenly she can just do a different accent in one scene or that it “just clicks” eventually) was a little inaccurate. The set itself and the costuming was absolutely beautiful and, though I have my complaints, I couldn’t make myself dislike it.

7/10

Audrey’s other movie credits include*: Love in the Afternoon, Green Mansions, The Unforgiven, Charade, The Children’s Hour, Paris When It Sizzles, How to Steal a Million, Two for the Road, Robin and Marian, Bloodline, They All Laughed, Love Among Thieves

*not including cameos, Broadway performances, or movies done (in England) before Hollywood’s Roman Holiday