8 Staples to Have in Your Dorm Room Closet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

We all know that the amount of room we get in a college dorm closet is very limited, and that can be very difficult for some girls (like myself) when you have a ton of clothes from home that you just cannot seem to part with. I mean what if, for some reason, you need that “one” shirt that you haven’t worn in years? Even though you may not need that “one” shirt you wore one time a hundred years ago, there are some clothing pieces that are a must when living in a dorm. It’s a good idea to bring clothing pieces to school that you can wear a million times with a million different things. Here are just a few of the items to make sure you have in your dorm as fall comes around:

1.T-Shirt/Shift Dresses.

What I love about t-shirt dresses is that they are the most comfortable things to wear. They are easy to dress up or down, all the while looking pretty effortless. These kinds of dresses are super versatile, which is one of the reasons I love them. You can easily wear one during the day to classes with your favorite boots and a sweater, or you can dress them up with a statement necklace and some cute booties.

2. Basic Shirts.

Having basic v-neck t-shirts in your dorm closest is such a MUST. How much easier can it get to throw on a basic top with a sweater, jeans and your favorite boots?  There are so many options that come with owning basic t-shirts, and they can be found at such cheap prices at the mall.

3. Statement Jewelry.

Having a few statement jewelry pieces in your dorm closet is an easy way to dress up a simple outfit. It is so easy to just throw on a statement necklace over a basic top when you feel like you need to add something to your outfit, and by doing so you look very put together without, hardly, doing anything!

4. Winter Boots.

This may be a bit of a news flash to some, but here in La Crosse, and anywhere else in Wisconsin, winter is our main season, and walking to class in the snow and freezing cold is not the most enjoyable time. Make sure to bring some nice winter boots to college so that you can make the walk from class to class a little less awful.

5. Vests.

When it’s not cold enough to wear a winter jacket, but too chilly not to wear anything, a vest is your BFF. Whether it is a jean vest or a puffy vest, vests can be worn with everything, and they come in many different colors and patterns. During the fall, you can find me in a vest pretty much every day. 

6. Baseball caps.

There is no better way to hide a bad hair day and still look good doing it, by just throwing on a baseball cap.

7. Leather Jacket.

What’s a better way to spice up a boring outfit than with a leather jacket? If you’re sick of wearing the same cardigans everyday throw on a leather jacket. It’s a very nice piece to own when transitioning from a day look to a night look. It can easily be thrown on with one of your basic t-shirts and jeans, and you are out the door!

8. Rain Jacket.

You might be thinking, A rain jacket? Do I really need that? But you’ll be thankful you have it when you look outside one morning, it’s pouring outside and you have to walk across campus to get to class. Plus, don’t forget some rain boots! 

Sarah Mueller is a senior majoring in Organizational and Professional Communication and minoring in Professional Writing. She loves to write, run, and do yoga in her free time. Follow her on instagram: sarah_muelller