This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

It’s December! Time to get out those winter boots, hats, and mittens. Here are some fun winter activities to do with friends or family.

Ice Skating. There are numerous rinks this time of year. There even is one in Riverside Park. Take all your friends and dress warm!

Rotary Lights. Go visit the Rotary Lights. It isn’t something you want to miss. The Rotary Lights is one of the top Holiday light shows in Wisconsin and it’s totally free. However, you are encouraged to make a can food donation.

Build a Snowman. We just got our first snowfall! The snow is wet and sticky and perfect for snowman building. It will make your yard look festive for cheap and you are sure to have a ball re-living your childhood building a big snowman.

Build a Winter Bonfire. Winter bonfires are a perfect way to enjoy the weather without feeling cold. You just have to find some dry wood and good friends to sit around the fire with.

Christmas Movie Marathon. This is perfect for a cold winter day here before Christmas. Some of my favorites are, Rudolph the Rednose Reindeer, Elf, and The Polar Express.

Winter Bluff Hike. The bluffs are beautiful this time a year when the trees are covered with snow. It also is excellent exercise. Make sure to wear good boots and dress warm!

Spiked Hot Chocolate. This is perfect for a Friday or Saturday night in on a cold winter night. Hot Chocolate and Peppermint Schnapps is a delicious Holiday drink.  

Make Snowflake Cut Outs. They are super fun and easy to make. You can even listen to Christmas music while making them to get into the Holiday spirit. They make great window decorations.