5 Reasons Why Rollerblading is the Best

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

Sun’s out, blades out! At least that’s what I say. Blading is one of my favorite things to do once the weather gets nice. You can pretty much find me every summer night blading around my hometown. It’s a fun thing to do with all your friends during the summer while also getting a work out. Getting a good work out isn’t even the only amazing thing about roller blading. There are many reasons why blading is the best thing ever. I think every UW-La Crosse student should go out and buy themselves a pair of blades. I promise you will not regret it! Blading might be a bit rough at first, and you might take a few falls, but once you get the hang of it, you will have the time of your life!

1. You get to see La Crosse in a different point of view. You can drive around La Crosse or you can walk around La Crosse but when you blade around La Crosse you get such a different view. You are still able to be outside but it won’t take as long to get downtown than if you were walking. Already a few times this spring I’ve bladed through the Marsh Trails all the way down to the Mississippi River, and we also have bladed across the Mississippi bridge all the way to Minnesota.

2. It’s a great workout! Like I said before, rollerblading is a great way to tone your legs and burn some calories. If you don’t like to run, blading is a great alternative! It works different muscles than running does and can even give you a more rewarding feeling than running. It may be hard to run 10 miles, but it can more easily be done on roller blades. Ten miles is 10 miles no matter how you get there.

3. Spend time outside. Along with rollerblading being a great form of exercise, it’s also nice because you get to be outside! So many times when the weather is nice out, I want to be outside but I never know what I want to do. Blading is the perfect activity to do when you don’t really know what to do and when you don’t want to sweat in the summer heat.

4. It helps make a lot of memories! I have countless amount of memories with my friends while blading. When I think of spring my freshman year in college I will always think of all the memories we’ve already made while blading. Some of those memories include sunsets at the Mississippi during a night blade and many, many funny memories of us friends falling while blading. Even though they might not be laughing at the time of falling, we always laugh at it later.

5. It’s a good stress reliever! Second semester is coming to an end so soon, which is a great thing because summer is coming up but it also means that finals are coming up. Take a break with studying and whatever you have going on and grab a friend and go blading! There are so many beautiful places to blade around in La Crosse. Blade around La Crosse and try to relieve some stress!

Sarah Mueller is a senior majoring in Organizational and Professional Communication and minoring in Professional Writing. She loves to write, run, and do yoga in her free time. Follow her on instagram: sarah_muelller