5 Cheap and Easy Ways to Decorate Your Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

Although we are already in the fourth week of the second semester, it is NEVER too late to decorate your dorm. We study there, sleep there, lounge there, so our dorms should feel like a tiny and slightly cramped home away from home.

Here are five ways to decorate your room that are easy and cheap.

1. Add Some String Lights

I’m pretty sure that any person that has ever lived or has been in a dorm room knows what string lights can do to the atmosphere. From simple white lights to crazy multi-colored party lights, these will make the room feel warm and welcoming (compared to the harsh dorm lights). They also give a nice glow at night if you need to get ready in the morning without waking up your roommate by turning on the lights, but isn’t completely dark so you can still sleep. 

2. Hang Pictures

These will not only make the walls seem less bare and more colorful but it will also remind you of all the memories that you’ve had from home or even the past semester. Also, starting a pattern on the wall with old photos and then posting new photos as the semester goes on is a great DIY project that would be very unique. Walk around UW-La Crosse and take photos of all the amazing people and places; It will add a great touch.

3. Organize with Creative Pieces

It was so trendy in 2015 to use mason jars for literally everything, so keep doing it. Any stores will have tons of them to purchase and they can be used to hold brushes, pens, pencils, snacks… probably anything.

4. Hang a Tapestry

Blue. Purple. White. Black. Red.  These huge beautiful pieces can be hung anywhere in your dorm and add a bohemian touch in seconds. Tapestries are incredibly eye catching and will make the room feel more cool and trendy. For cheap ones I recommend looking at Amazon; I found the best prices there.

5. Decorate Your Door

Let’s be honest, all dorm doors are extremely brown and boring. But if you add a whiteboard and some photos of you and your roommate to your door and/or put some candy out (great conversation starter too), your door will be the talk of the hall.

There you have it! Five quick and easy ways to make a dorm room feel comfier than ever before. Happy decorating!