Visiting Other Schools: The Proper Etiquette That Will Get You Invited Back

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

Visiting your friends at their schools can be really fun. You are reunited with an old buddy, get to experience a different college, and meet your pal’s new friends. Paying a visit is nothing to stress about, but there are a few things you should keep in mind. Consider these tips on visiting etiquette so your stay is enjoyable for both you and your host or hostess, fondly remembered, and lacking drama.

Bring your own supplies.  If your friend lives in the typical dorm with shoebox-sized rooms, they are not going to have a lot of extra items to share with you. Therefore, bringing a sleeping bag and pillow is a good idea. You’ll probably end up crashing on the floor so it’ll make things a little comfier as well. Also, let’s be honest, if it’s a weekend, you and your friend may plan on going out and drinking. If so, it would be a nice touch to supply at least some of your own alcohol or drink of choice. (Of course this only applies if you’re 21 years old, and legally allowed to drink.)

Be considerate of your friend’s schedule. We all know how busy the life of a college student can be. Classes, homework, exams, papers, extra-curricular activities, and socializing can be a lot to juggle. Although you may be eager to see your friend, it’s important to be respectful of his or her busy schedule. Plan for a time when it won’t be overwhelming for him or her to entertain you for the duration of your stay. And if you end up visiting when your friend has a paper or exam, let them have quiet time for their studies. You may even want to bring some work of your own, that way you won’t get bored or bombarded with work when you return to your own school.

Exhibit reserved behavior. It’s okay to have fun, and definitely be outgoing with your old friend’s new friends. However, there is a fine line. Don’t get too drunk (again, this is only pertaining to those of you who are over 21 years of age). Don’t go over your limits when you go out at night. Your friend does not want to be your babysitter, and to be honest, no one does. And, lastly, the absolute worst thing you can do is to try to hook up with your friend’s new love interest. Not only would that make you impolite, but also a really bad friend.

Show respect. This may go without saying, but being respectful is key to remaining a well-mannered visitor. Be respectful in how your treat your friend’s room and belongings, roommate(s), floormates, and friends. It’s true that people can learn a lot about you by meeting and seeing what your friends are like. So your good or bad behavior may be reflected upon your friend. Why not make a positive impression?

For example, this practical joke may have seemed funny at the time, but it ended up having some unintended consequences:
“I was visiting a friend at the University of New Hampshire and met my roommate’s neighbor, who seemed clingy and insisted that we have a beer with her. We said no thanks and she went on her way with her boyfriend to where ever they ended up going. My friend later expressed her annoyance with this girl and we joked around by sharing a devious plan of stealing her beer until she got back. So I went to her dorm with a friend waiting outside to warn me if someone were coming, and 30 seconds later…she came around the corner and I ran out of her room like a fool with 3 beers in my hand. She obviously saw me, which is when I found out that this tiny girl was in fact a psycho. We explained to her that it was a joke, gave her her beer back…though she persisted with terrorizing us throughout the night by trying to slam against my friend’s door and completely ruining her whiteboard. Each time I go back, I do my best to avoid her floormates and keep to myself.”

Next time you plan a visit to another school, remember these quick tips. It’ll make your stay more fun and guarantee a return visit.

IMAGE CREDIT