This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

There is nothing better than striding through your day with that powerful spark we call fearlessness. I never felt so assured with myself until I started taking the initiative of feeling fearless. 

Here are ways that helped me, and may eventually help you to feel fearless:

1. Kickboxing

Every Monday and Wednesday I tirelessly roll out of bed (that is sarcasm), inadvertently waking my roommate (sorry Sofie), so I can make it to my 8:30 am kickboxing class. Unknowing of the extent of cardio and strength required, I began my kickboxing career this semester through a UVM PEAC class and I absolutely love it. Many jabs, uppercuts, and sidekicks later, I feel I have gained confidence and power in both my physical and mental abilities. I have begun to achieve a sense of physical security by practicing self-defense techniques and emotional security in knowing that I am strong. The skills I acquired from my kickboxing class have transcended into an undeniable sense of fearlessness. I totally recommend taking a kickboxing course at UVM, the instructor is awesome and creates an extremely positive and encouraging environment for everyone! 

2. Trying New Things

We all have things we are stubborn about–subjects in which our opinions are unchangeable. I have a friend who has some sort of vendetta against potatoes. She refuses to try a French fry no matter how many times we dangle it in front of her face. If she were to try one, it’s likely that she would enjoy it (as most people do because fries are amazing), while thanking us for our peer pressure. What’s the worst that could happen? Anyways, my point is that many times trying something new will pleasantly surprise you. You never know what you may be missing out on if you never give it a try. I have found a lot of joy in the things I have tried in coming to college this year. By trying new things, like going to college halfway across the country, learning a new language, and even writing this article, I have become more well-rounded and adept at taking advantage of new opportunities with an open mind. My experience in trying new things this year has strengthened my confidence in finding my way, and more importantly, trying new things has led me to feel fearless in all my endeavors. 

3. Doing Things That Scare Me

Every day, I challenge myself to do at least one thing that scares me. Whether that means openly singing the entire Hamilton soundtrack in your dorm knowing damn well your RA who lives in the next room over can hear every word, or texting an ex (kidding, don’t do that one); it’s good to get your heart racing. This may sound counterintuitive, but by doing things that scare you, they begin to feel less scary. Pushing boundaries is a positive stressor! A life without doing things that scare you would feel undaring and consequently, boring. Instead of feeling fear, feel fearless. Now that’s a tongue twister.

As former first lady Eleanor Roosevelt once said, “You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing you think you cannot do.” Yes, I did just find this quote on Google after about ten seconds of searching, but I find it extremely relevant and encouraging to the topic. Thus, by learning how to kick-a*s in kickboxing, by shunning your inner-stubbornness, and by taking on your fears, you too can feel an undeniable sense of fearlessness. 

Yours Sincerely,

Isabella

**Edited by: Amanda Hutson

Hello! My name is Isabella and I am a sophomore at the University of Vermont. I enjoy eating sushi, attending cycling classes, and doing crossword puzzles!