This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

By: Sierra Byrne

I can officially say that I made it to BookTok, and my summer revolved around reading some of the most highly suggested romance novels.  

After months of scrolling past the videos on TikTok of individual creators providing their unsolicited, unfiltered opinions of romantic novels, I caved and purchased a highly suggested book: It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover. 

Colleen Hoover, #1 New York Times best-selling author, has a way with words, and here is why: each page led to more suspense, drama, nail-biting thriller, and of course, some spice. 

Hoover’s opening scenes are meant to captivate you and draw you in as a reader. Within the first few pages, you are immersed in a wild and twisted storyline, so much so that you need to continue reading to find out what happens next. And then, just like that, you are 30 pages in, then 50, then 100, then halfway through and before you know it you are reading the final line, while a tear slowly drips down your face because of the power Colleen Hoover writes with. 

I started my book journey with It Ends With Us, but after finishing the book front to back within one day, I needed more. I had never felt this way before with reading and as cliche as it may sound, I was addicted to this author and I craved more. No other book I have ever read has inspired me to keep reading. So much so, Ms. Colleen Hoover inspired me to go and purchased Verity, Ugly Love, Reminders of Him, Regretting You, November 9th, and Maybe Someday.

Hoover’s books have elevated my enjoyment of reading and made me find passion again, getting lost in the words. Colleen Hoover does a great job of providing an intense amount of detail to you as the reader feels immersed in the story. 

The descriptive detail of scenes makes the storyline so unbelievably realistic, so much so that I, as the reader, was envisioning the way the characters looked, how they acted, the room in the house they were in, and the car they were driving. The imagery in these books didn’t fall short.

I think one of the most fascinating ways Hoover writes her books is the way she alternates each chapter to be about that specific character and their perspective. For instance, in, Reminders of Him, (which is my favorite book by far) each chapter fluctuates between Kenna and Ledger. This style of writing makes you feel like you have a deeper connection with these characters by fully emerging yourself into the thoughts that they share. 

For anyone who is looking to get back into reading, I highly suggest you pick up a Colleen Hoover book. I have gotten sucked into the side of TikTok where everyone raves about her books, so I have joined that side and now I am an active member trying to recruit others. 

I was never an avid reader, but I have changed and conformed, to say the least. All you need is one book to change your mindset and appreciate the joy of reading. I hope you find a book that does that for you as it did for me.

Happy Reading!

With Love, 

Sierra

**Edited by Ella Farrell

Hi! I'm Sierra Byrne and I am the current Campus Coordinator for Her Campus at the University of Vermont! I am a Senior studying Public Health Sciences in hopes of becoming a Physician Assistant! I have always had a passion for journalism and have been writing for Her Campus since I was a first year. I hope you enjoy reading my articles and be sure to check out some of our other amazing writers who are apart of HCUVM!