This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

By: Sierra Byrne 

The Gen-Z population is constantly coming up with lingo that leaves everyone puzzled. Don’t get me wrong, as a “gen-z-ier” I still have no idea what some of the new slang that is being tossed around means but I recently discovered a new word that has taken over my vocabulary.

“That’s so niche”. Until about 2 weeks ago I had no idea what that meant. I would say the word hoping that using it in the right context when I truthfully was saying it to fit in and act cool with my friends. I began to say that repeatedly, as if it was the only word in my vocabulary. 

Soon enough, after repeating the word so many times I began to realize that there are things special to UVM that fit perfectly with that saying. So let me welcome you to the newest edition of “That’s so niche: UVM”

First, creemes. If you know, you know. They are a staple to Vermont and especially those who go to UVM. Nothing beats getting a creemee stand and walking to Burlington Bay and enjoying the spectacular sunset over the water. one of those things that make Vermont special in its own way. So, with that I don’t think it can get more niche than this. 

Adding onto the food and beverage category, you have Yerba Mate. As someone who was raised in the North East and came to school in Vermont, I had no idea what Yerba Mate was. But, my goodness does it have a pull on the University of Vermont students! Everyone knows what a Yerba Mate is here and according to Cat Pause one year, UVM was the 4th biggest distributor of it. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing because while it is amazing, it also just shows the crippling addiction to caffeine the UVM student body all share with each other. 

Lets now talk about the Ski and Snowboard Club. One of UVM biggest clubs on UVM campus and constantly draws people in despite their ability on the slopes. I think it’s pretty cool that there are clubs on campus that draw in everyone from different hobbies and interests. We all share the thrill and adrenaline rush of zipping down the mountain and doing it over and over again. It’s a UVM community away from campus as students make a day out of it hanging out with friends, grilling hot dogs and kicking back in ski boots after a long day on the mountain.

I do believe that there are other things that make UVM niche, like Birkenstocks, Blundstones, the happy holiday in April, Skida, Subarus, maple syrup etc. For every person, there’s a personal and unique niche for us. As a senior now who has had my fair share of exploring Vermont for the past 3 years, I do believe I fit the criteria for providing my expertises on the niche-ness of UVM. 

With love, 

Sierra 

Edited by Samantha Romano

Hi! I'm Sierra Byrne and I am the current Campus Coordinator for Her Campus at the University of Vermont! I am a Senior studying Public Health Sciences in hopes of becoming a Physician Assistant! I have always had a passion for journalism and have been writing for Her Campus since I was a first year. I hope you enjoy reading my articles and be sure to check out some of our other amazing writers who are apart of HCUVM!