This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

Happy Earth Day!

I always hear sustainability and waste-free living heavily promoted around this time, but it feels impossible to be living so eco-friendly when you’re living in a tiny dorm. Luckily, it is not impossible, and going to one of the top green schools in the U.S. makes it even easier. Here’s a list of 5 easy things to get you started on your sustainability journey.

1. Compost! 

Did you know UVM offers compostable bags to keep in your dorm? These little bags can be stored in your fridge until they are full, at which point you can bring them to the lobby of your building, where you will find green compost containers, which eventually are brought to Green Mountain Compost! You will also find compost stations in most of the dining halls (currently, Harris-Millis dining composts behind the scenes), so be mindful before throwing everything in the trash. This compost will end up back in the soil, enriching it with nutrients to support organisms and plant development. AKA, better food and soil!

1. Bring your own bags grocery shopping

I struggle with this from time to time, sometimes I end up leaving a tote bag behind and have to pay the 10 cents on a paper bag that will just end up in the recycling again. A solution I’ve found is investing in small, compactable bags to fit multiple in one so I always have enough. You can find these pretty much anywhere on the internet, but bonus points if you order from a small business rather than Amazon! As for the readers who want to get into crocheting or those who are avid crocheters, mesh bags are incredibly easy to make yourself. 

1. Thrift instead of online shopping

With so many trends circulating at all times, it’s easy to hop on Shein or Amazon to find exactly the top you just saw on social media. However, fast fashion has serious consequences on the environment. Because fast fashion is, well, fast, workers are often faced with dangerous work environments in order to get the work done faster, and little care is taken to ensure toxins are not released in the factory process. Also, once the trend is over, clothes end up in the trash as the next fashion wave takes over. A more sustainable way of shopping is thrift shopping! Luckily, Burlington is riddled with fantastic thrift stores, like Dirt Chic, Battery Street Jeans Exchange, Old Gold, and Downtown Threads, to name a few. Thrifting is also more fun; there is something so rewarding about finding unique pieces for a fraction of the price you would’ve paid online. 

1. Save energy and water by shutting off lights/water when not in use

You know those little green stickers above the light switches in dorms and bathrooms that read something like “Conserve Energy. Flip the switch… Turn it OFF!”? Listen to it! Turn the lights off during the day and let that beautiful Vermont sunshine fill your rooms. When you leave the room, shut the lights off. This goes for water too. Only turn the faucet off to wet your toothbrush and as needed while brushing your teeth rather than having it running the entire time. It’s amazing how much energy you can save by following these simple steps. Plus, starting this habit now will help your wallet when you have to pay the utilities bill in your apartment :). 

1. Invest in self-refillable grocery and personal items

This one is possibly my favorite, a fact you could discover if you saw my “eco-friendly” Pinterest board littered with various glass jars holding necessities. I first discovered that this was even a possible thing back home in Massachusetts at a crystal shop, where they had refillable shampoo, conditioner, and body wash. I never really thought about it, but hair care, skin care, and various grocery item containers add up to a lot of plastic being thrown away or recycled. In Burlington, you can find refill stations at The Body Shop and City Market/Onion River Co-op. Sadly, there was an entire store dedicated to refilling that closed in January of this year. Perhaps if we can create more demand, entire refill stores will be able to stay in business in Burlington. 

Happy eco-living!

Hi! I'm Sam and I'm a freshman at UVM studying Environmental Science and Wildlife Biology! I love to listen to music, spend time outside, and curl up with a book and my cats :)