This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

By Natalie Fenton

Coming to UVM as a Californian who had never been to Vermont until I moved in freshman year, I had no idea what was in store for me. I thought that Doc Martens were winter boots, a sweatshirt should be enough for a winter day, and Patagonia was just a country. I could not have been more unprepared and hopefully, this guide will stop you from freezing like I did.

A little warning – the first winter is going to be the toughest one but I promise you it’s going to be worth it. It will seem daunting at first because all of your friends will bring out their “winter bin” once the first snow falls, and you will be sitting there with like maybe one Carhart beanie. 

Winter clothes can get expensive, and most people will have accumulated this “winter bin” their whole life. If you’re only going to get a few things, here’s what you should spend your money on.

Tip 1: Invest in one really good winter coat.

​Don’t waste time buying sh*tty winter clothes because this is where quality actually matters. This option doesn’t have to break the bank, either. Head over to Outdoor Gear Exchange on Church Street for a used option or satisfy your online shopping with Patagonia’s Worn Wear website. *Pro tip: work at Patagonia or any winter retail store to get crazy discounts.

Tip 2: You will actually need a pair of boots. 

​Apparently, slipping in the winter is a thing. You do not want to be wearing Converse when the sidewalks don’t get salted. Not only will your toes freeze off, but icy conditions will make it feel like you will fall on every step you take, or the snow will be so deep your shoes will be soaking wet when you get to class. 

Tip 3: LAYER.

​Layering is a skill that I haven’t quite mastered yet. Learning to layer in a way that is stylish, comfortable, and appropriate for the temperature outside is harder than it sounds. Especially if you live off campus, you cannot forget to account for the walk up the hill to campus.

Tip 4: Get involved in outdoor winter activities.

​The biggest change for me coming here was facing the fact that I couldn’t do the same activities year-round. At first, I felt like I was trapped indoors all the time, and I was the definition of bored. If you have never skied before, reach out to your friends and see if one of them would be kind enough to teach you. While sometimes it might feel like everyone at UVM has been skiing since before they could walk, I guarantee you this is not the case for half of the self-proclaimed ski bums and a lot of people are just as beginner or don’t mind just cruising the blues. Getting involved in skiing will make you feel a lot more part of the culture here, give you a reason to look forward to the winter, and there are plenty of options to do it affordably. College season passes are heavily discounted, and you can either rent for the season or scour places like Play it Again Sports or Facebook Marketplace for equipment. 

Tip 5: Enjoy extra time inside. 

Extra time inside doesn’t have to be the worst thing in the world. Even if you find the time to become a great skier during the winter, the fact of the matter is you are going to spend a lot more time inside. Use this time to binge-watch that show you’ve been meaning to with your roommates, learn how to cook some really good meals, and enjoy movie nights with your friends. I felt like my friendships become so much stronger in the winter and I recommend enjoying the time while you have it instead of just wishing for the warm weather. 

There might be days when the sun sets at 4 pm and you wonder why the f*ck did come to Vermont, but once the snow melts, April comes, and it feels like the birds start chirping again, you might actually find yourself longing for a ski day. My advice to you is to enjoy the winters while you have them because you might move back to warmer weather after college and weirdly miss those days shoveling the snow off your car or begging your friends to drive you to class.

Hi! I'm a senior at the University of Vermont majoring in Environmental Studies and minoring in Community and International Development. I'm from San Diego and love to be outside and travel any chance I can