Sexual Violence: How Campuses are Responding

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

Sexual violence can be a difficult topic to broach, while it undoubtedly makes some people uncomfortable, it is so important to acknowledge and hear the stories of the many victims. Statistics say that one in five women will be assaulted at some point during her four-year college career and as little as twelve percent will report it. Some accounts of sexual violence on College campuses have been deemed controversial, as it is not uncommon for administrators to see blurred lines or to attempt to sweep a claim under the rug to avoid bad publicity, but the difficult reality is that it happens much more often than any of us would like to consider. Despite these solemn facts, many colleges are laying the groundwork for progressive action against sexual violence on their campuses. Take a look at the ways these colleges across the nation are stepping up, and acting out against sexual violence.

“Yes means Yes”

As of Sunday, California has adopted a new bill that will apply to all California state schools. The bill states that affirmative consent is not merely the absence of no, it is a firm yes. The bill also includes that the use of alcohol and drugs do not excuse unwanted sexual advances, and also that consent does not mean an absence of resistance. The bill intends to create a sense of consistency across the state’s campuses and to serve as a benchmark for acceptable consent. This is the first bill ever of its kind and it has many advocates against sexual violence thrilled.

The Bystander Program

President Obama has recognized our neighbors at the University of New Hampshire for their innovative programs against sexual violence. UNH is one of three Universities that have been asked onto a task force to design a national standard against sexual violence. One such tactic that has been successful at UNH is the Bystander Program. This encourages and makes all students aware that each person is part of the solution to sexual violence regardless. This calls on each of the students to pay attention to behaviors that may lead to assaults and to call them out. In short the idea is to encourage students to step in when they see something that doesn’t look right. Breeding a sense of community through looking out for one another.

What can you do?

Many people giggle at the idea of “asking” before they kiss or advance on another person but it is such an innocent way to make sure someone is into you, plus my guess is that some girls think it’s pretty cute so why not?

Look out for yourself and for your friends. As UNH officials advocate, watch for behavior that may suggest the possibility of sexual violence and address it.

If you think that you or someone you know may have been sexually assaulted, report it immediately, our best shot at improving our defenses against sexual assault is to defend and support the victims, and validate one another’s’ stories.

Finally, seek help if you need it, there is a counseling center here at UVM, free of charge.

Important Links:

Sexual Misconduct Advisors

http://www.uvm.edu/~aaeo/sexualmisconduct/?Page=advisors.html

Campus Victims Advocate

https://www.uvm.edu/~women/?Page=support.html&SM=capmenu.html

Junior at the University of Vermont