Life > Academics

Preparing for Finals Week

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

By Lila Simmons

As we near the end of another fall semester, the final exam season is upon us. It seems like final exam grades determine so much of the entire course, so it is stressful when this time rolls around. It can be hard to manage all of your classes at once and stay on top of things near the end of the semester. I’ve found that during this time, it is important to prioritize certain things over others. To help myself successfully combat finals week, I’ve found some of the best tips to help me succeed. 

Listen to a Study Playlist

This semester, I have found listening to white noise while studying or doing my homework extremely helpful. This cancels out any distractions and I’ve found that it keeps me focused on my assignments. Along with this, I turn my phone on and “do not disturb” so I am not constantly checking it for new notifications or getting distracted by social media. You can find a white noise playlist on Apple Music or Spotify. 

Change your Study Spots

Everybody has their favorite study spots on campus that they’ve visited for an all-night study session, or to do some homework certainly have mine. However, I have found it helpful to change it up occasionally and try new study locations. The library is packed during finals week, so it helps to find new spots as well. Finding new spots also helps me test if I understand the information, rather than just memorizing it. 

Get Enough Sleep

It can be difficult to get enough sleep during these weeks, as many of us are up late studying as much as possible. Since we are likely busier than ever at this time, our body needs more sleep than it usually does. Running around all day, going to class, studying when you have free time, and trying to stay social before Christmas break often takes a toll on our bodies. It is so important to get enough sleep, so you feel prepared to take your exams.  

Make a List

It often helps me to write out a physical list when preparing for finals week. Writing things down in a calendar, or list format helps you to manage your time and helps with gaining perspective on your assignments. Thinking about it all at once can cause feelings of stress or overwhelmed feelings. It also feels amazing to finally check tasks off your to-do list or planner. 

Study Buddies 

Before this semester, I was skeptical about studying with a friend or classmate, because I feared I would get distracted easily and end up getting nothing done. This year, as some of my classes are tougher than freshman year, studying or doing homework with a friend who also knows the class material helps me when I have to study. Quizzing each other on the material will not only help you learn it, but it’ll help your friend as well. Booking a study room together in the library also helps with the environmental aspect of studying. 

It is so important to take good care of your mind and body during these upcoming weeks. Allow yourself to take study breaks once in a while, maintain your regular diet, and try to stay active if you like. I’ve found that going on walks or drives and just listening to my favorite music helps me clear my head, which is sometimes what we all need. 

Hi I'm Lila! I'm a sophomore studying Public Communication at UVM with a Dance minor! I enjoy reading, fashion, writing, listening to music, and going to the beach with friends!