This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

By: Emma Accardi

I have a tendency, that I like to think is the same for others, where I overly obsess about things to the point that they become a core to my personality. Recently, I have been obsessed with many new things ranging from music, food, and different activities. I want to share these because I feel like other people could be interested and want to try some of my recent obsessions.

1. The Color Pink. 

I, for whatever reason, have never really gotten into the color pink. Let me explain. I have never loved the color pink. I think this is because I haven’t found the perfect shade of pink for me to wear, which is why I just strayed away from the color altogether. This mentality changed when I was working at Free People this summer and came across a pink dress in our store. This dress was a floral pattern consisting of the colors hot pink, light pink, and purple with hints of white and was so cute and summery. I originally saw the dress and thought it was cute on the hanger, but never really thought about trying it on due to some weird old personal vendetta toward the color pink. However, once I removed that thought and tried it on, I was hooked. Since buying this pink dress, I have realized that I can start wearing pink things. Pink dunks, getting my nails painted baby pink, wearing pink sparkly eyeshadow, and a hot pink slip dress. I think I’m in my pink renaissance and I’m not at all mad about it.

1. Listening to sad music.

This is a controversial statement but I have been LOVING sad music. To be honest this is one of my lasting obsessions because I feel like I always gravitate toward listening to sad music as a genre itself. In specific, the albums RED by Taylor Swift, Punisher by Pheobe Bridgers, and Norman Fucking Rockwell by Lana Del Ray. I know you may be thinking why? The answer plain and simple is that I love the lyrics in all of these albums because I feel like they tell an intricate story. There is something about a gut-wrenching song about a breakup or personal mistake that is written so well. I also wanted to mention that listening to sad music for me is a happy experience. Sometimes, of course, it won’t be happy and that’s okay. However, I would say that in general, I tend to gravitate toward sadder music, that’s all.

1. Trader Joe’s Harvest Blend Herbal Tea.

I love hot tea and always have, but recently I discovered a tea from Trader Joe’s that is my new favorite. It’s called the Harvest Blend Herbal Tea. It’s a quintessential fall-flavored tea, with notes of apple and cinnamon. Fall is my favorite season and I love all the flavors that connote the season itself. I think this tea is all of them wrapped into one. Another great thing about this tea is that it’s caffeine free so it’s a nice way to end your night with a cup before bed. (Which is my favorite time of day for hot tea). If you are looking for a new tea to try, I HIGHLY recommend this one.

1. Podcasts.

In the past few years, I’ve gotten into listening to podcasts. However, in recent weeks, I feel like I have been listening to them more than I ever have. I think that starting my morning by walking to school while listening to a podcast is such a bright and insightful way to start the day. Recently I have been rotating between a few different podcasts, but my favorites have been Modern Love by the New York Times, Circle Time with Kelsey Kreppel, Unlocking Us with Brené Brown, and Anything Goes with Emma Chamberlain. Since walking to campus takes around twenty minutes for me, most of these episodes will take up the entire walk. This is a great way to stay entertained and get my brain flowing before going to class.

1. Layering clothing

Layering clothing is one of my obsessions right now. The weather is getting cooler, causing us to wear layers to stay warm and remove layers when we get too hot. I have found that layering my clothes is legit the only way I can reach a comfortable temperature on campus because my body temperature is customized based on the number of layers I wear that day. Also, I just think that layering is such a cute fashion staple. For example, wearing a sweater with a turtleneck underneath. This is such a classic example of an effective layer, but I am obsessed with this trend. I also have been catching myself layering to make more summery outfits fit for fall. For example, when I wear a long sleeve or short sleeve shirt underneath a dress that has no sleeves. Then on top of the dress/shirt combo, pair the outfit with a cute coat to complete the look. I love layering because I think it’s a way to be the most comfortable while still being fashionable. It also allows you to customize an outfit to elevate it from solely just wearing the article of clothing the way you bought it.

1. Making lists.

I have always been someone who is super organized and quadruple checks that I have done everything I need to do in a day before I go to bed. Recently, a way I have been effectively keeping track of my day-to-day tasks has been through making to-do lists. These to-do lists have not been the only lists I have been making recently. Each night before I go to bed, I have been journaling a random list down. These lists range from a list of things that remind me of fall, to a list of my favorite songs, to a list of the places I’d love to visit one day. I think that this way of journaling has been a great way of organizing my thoughts on a topic, instead of just brain-dumping them onto the page, which is something I struggle with. This list-making strategy has been a great way for me to keep up my daily journaling and allow me to organize my thoughts about different topics onto one page.

1. Don’t Worry Darling Drama between Harry Styles, Florence Pugh, and Olivia Wilde

If you aren’t aware of what I’m talking about I’ll sum it up briefly. Olivia Wilde is directing a movie called Don’t Worry Darling that comes out on September 23rd. The two leads of the film are Harry Styles and Florence Pugh (I am obsessed with them both). To start, the first big controversy was that during filming, director Olivia Wile split with her husband Jason Sudeikis and began dating Harry Styles. Many have claimed that the reasons for this were that Olivia and Harry were having an affair on set. This, however, isn’t the only bit of drama this movie is causing. There is also tension between Olivia Wilde and Florence Pugh. Florence Pugh was not promoting the movie due to her disagreement with Olivia Wilde’s “favoritism” for Harry Styles on set and rumors surrounding Olivia firing actor Shia LaBeouf from the film. What happened was that Olivia told the public that she fired Shia LaBeouf from the film because of the allegations that had come out in January 2021 about LaBeouf being accused of sexual battery, assault, and emotional distress to an old partner. However, there was a recent development to the story because Shia LaBeouf shared screenshots of text messages from Olivia Wilde that she wanted him to continue with the project even though he chose to quit on his own. Olivia also made an allusion to LaBeouf and Florence Pugh not getting along and seemed to take LaBeouf’s side, fully dismissing Pugh’s concerns about casting this actor considering his history. To conclude, my stance is that I am team “Miss Flo” as the media has been calling it. All in all, I’m just excited to see two of my favorite celeb co-stars in a movie together, Harry Styles and Florence Pugh. I will say, however, that I am fully invested in this drama and think it’s interesting to read and hear about all the layers of this insane story. I think the best headline that I’ve read was that Harry Styles and Olivia Wilde have since broken up… phew!

1. Baking Muffins

I have been baking a lot since I moved off campus and had access to a kitchen. One of my recent favorite treats to bake has been muffins. I wouldn’t consider myself a breakfast person, however, if I have a good baked treat available, I am much more likely to want to have breakfast in the morning. Recently, I have been making a lot of banana muffins with bananas that have been browning in my kitchen and adding chocolate chips and vanilla protein powder to them to spice them up! I think that muffins are also a great way to use the fruit you may have in your home before it goes bad. Basically what I’m saying is that muffins are a great way to repurpose fruit! Pinterest has been serving as a great guide for me in terms of looking up recipes or inspiration for my muffins. It’s also where I discovered adding protein powder to muffins to give the muffin more protein and make it a more substantial breakfast or snack.

1. Colorful Western Boots

I love western boots and always have. Recently, I have been loving to see how brightly colored western boots like red, green, or blue, add an amazing statement to an outfit. At the beginning of the summer, I thrifted a pair of vintage teal western boots and I will fully admit that they are my favorite shoes I have ever owned. My favorite part about making this purchase was challenging myself to think of creative outfits to wear these boots. Now, I have fully implemented them into my wardrobe as a staple piece of my style. I think that in general colorful western boots are a trend that is super in. I think a reason for this could be from Harry Styles’ tour since staple pieces of fans’ outfits to his shows have been brightly colored western boots. Regardless, I do think that everyone needs a pair of colorful boots. I honestly don’t know how I have gone so long without them in my closet and all I’ll say is that when you buy a pair you are guaranteed to be obsessed.

1. Pumpkin Cream Cheese

I don’t know how this is something I haven’t tried until recently, however, I am currently obsessed with pumpkin cream cheese. I love anything “fall-flavored” as I mentioned when I spoke about the new tea I have been loving, but I never knew how much I could love cream cheese like I love the pumpkin cream cheese from Trader Joes. I think it honestly tastes more like cinnamon than it does pumpkin. Although that may be a controversial opinion, I still love it immensely. I know now that this is a seasonal item at TJ’s so I need to get this fix while I can before the season is over. I HIGHLY recommend you go get some to try if you haven’t already… It’s incredible.

Hi! I'm Emma Accardi and I'm a senior studying early childhood education minoring in special education. I love all things fashion, food and feminism but most importantly am a big Swiftie and Harry Styles stan!