1) How long have you been ice skating?
I have been skating since I was 10.
2) How did you get involved with the UVM team?
When I visited the school last year, I went to the team’s spring show where I met many of the girls who I now skate with – they were all so friendly and welcoming!
3) If you had to pick one color to describe how you feel right before you go on the ice, what would it be and why?
I would have to say yellow because I am always so happy to be able to take a break from the rest of my day and skate.
4) Would you ever pursue a career in ice-skating?
I would love to be able to be a show performer for a company such as Disney on Ice. Dressing up, traveling, and being able to do what I love every day would be so much fun!
5) What is your favorite trick on the ice?
Any type of spin
6) If I were an animal, I would be a _____. Why?
I would say a koala as I am usually quiet and reserved, but I can be tough when I need to be.
7) What other activities are you involved with on campus?
I am also a part of Alpha Delta Pi and the pre-med club.
8) If you would drive any car out on the ice, what would it be?
9) What is your major?
Biochemistry on a pre-med track
10) How do you get in the zone before each performance?
I listen to music and run through the performance in my head, visualizing what it should look like on the ice.
11) Do you have any tips for some aspiring ice cats?
Always remember to smile and have fun. Performing is as much about presentation as it is about skill.
12) If you could go back to when you were 13, what advice would you give yourself?
Don’t be afraid of the things you can’t see coming, whether good or bad, because they all happen for a reason.
13) If you have one, what is your least favorite part about ice-skating?
14) Do you have a difficult time balancing your schoolwork and other extra curriculars?
At first it was hard balancing extra curriculars with all of my schoolwork, but now I spend most of my free time either in the library or in my room studying.
15) Where are you originally from?
I am originally from Danvers, MA
16) Is there a skaters high just like there is a runners high?
I would say that there is a skaters high in the moment that you know all of the hard work put it has paid off, whether it be at a competition, during a performance, or even at practice.
17) Ever thought about playing hockey?
I don’t think I would ever be able to play hockey. I have terrible hand-eye coordination and I think I would forget I didn’t have toepicks and fall!
18) Do you have any helpful hints to dealing with the cold?
A lot of layers and always keep your ears covered.
19) How often do you have practice?
I practice with ice cats two to three times a week, both off-ice and on-ice. I also skate on my own around four times a week.
20) Now that you have been at UVM for an entire semester, what is some valuable advice you would like to give to all incoming freshman?
Don’t be afraid to try new things and explore everything that UVM has to offer!