This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

Dear Introvert, 

Nice to meet you!  I’m a typical college girl trying to find her way, and, like you, an introvert. Maybe you know what it feels like to be insecure about this, but I’m here to tell you that, despite what you may think, it’s perfectly okay!  I love being independent. I enjoy having alone time and cringe at the thought of being the center of attention.  I don’t feel the need to talk all the time, and I don’t have a ginormous group of friends.  However, being an introvert has proven to be pretty cool, and I’ll let you know why.

I used to pretend I was extremely outgoing, but to be honest, I looked silly trying to play the role of an extrovert because it’s just not who I am.  A huge thing that I’ve learned, mainly since coming to college, is that being reserved doesn’t make you boring.  In my opinion, being reserved actually makes you super not boring!   Not having a lot to say all the time doesn’t mean you don’t have a thousand thoughts running through your head at any given moment.  Reserving your thoughts for people you consider important to you makes them that much more valuable.

Something else I’ve learned to love about being an introvert is my small circle of friends.  In my opinion, quality is way more important than quantity in the friendship department.  If somebody doesn’t want to be around you because you’re quiet, they probably aren’t worth your time.  When you find the people that appreciate your company as much as you appreciate theirs, it isn’t hard to come out of your shell.  Personally, I like having a small group of friends that I know I can always turn to, rather than a huge group of friends that I’m unsure about.  Also, your friends will probably come to you for advice quite often, because honestly, you give really good advice (which you should take more often).

Finally, there’s nothing like some good alone time.  Regardless of whether or not you’re an introvert or an extrovert, there’s nothing quite as relaxing as putting on your favorite music, reading your favorite book or, my personal favorite, taking a nap to recharge.  Some people thrive when they’re around other people, but our best ideas come to us when we’re by ourselves, which is just as cool.  Spending time alone doesn’t make you antisocial, but rather more in tune with yourself and your surroundings.

I know that sometimes it seems like nobody understands how you feel.  However, I totally know what it feels like to feel lost amongst a huge group of people, and I still get anxious when a teacher calls on me in class.  If there’s one thing you can take away from this article, know that being an introvert is awesome!  You are just as valuable as anyone else, even if you don’t feel the need to scream it to the world.  You got this!

Much love, Another Introvert

Jenna Toth is a second year student at the University of Vermont, majoring in public communication. Jenna is no stranger to the world of writing-- her grandfather, Owen Canfield, is a former sports writer for the Hartford Courant in Connecticut. She considers him one of her biggest inspirations when it comes to writing. During her downtime, Jenna enjoys long walks to the fridge, playing songs on her ukulele, and cuddling with her black lab, Oliver. If you'd like to read more of Jenna's personal work or learn more about her, check out her social media: Twitter: https://twitter.com/jennalouisetoth Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jennatoth/ Tumblr: https://jennalouisetoth.tumblr.com/
I'm Emma, an 18 year old figure skater and artist from the Boston Area. I am a first year student at the University of Vermont majoring in Studio Art and Psychological Sciences as part of the Integrated Fine Art's Deans program, while participating in Hillel, and The UVM Figure Skating Club as a member of the UVM Synchronized Figure Skating Team as well as the Ice Cats performance team. I am the Editor-in-Chief of the Her Campus UVM Chapter and also the Campus Correspondent. I am passionate about fashion, writing, feminism, beauty, living green, and travelling. I believe in being confidently beautiful and empowering women to feel the same!