Kiss & Tell: The Four Guys You’ll Meet In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

When I was a freshman, I know that one of the things that I was most excited about for college (besides academics, of course) was meeting new people. This is not uncommon. How many people say, “I’m going to reinvent myself when I get to college. I’m going to try new things, meet new people, and become the me that I want to be.”? Answer: Everyone. And how do we do this? We join clubs, go to parties, and talk to anyone that strikes an interest. Where? Classrooms. Dorms. Parties. Downtown. And one way we do this: by hooking up with anyone and everyone. Even if you think you have a “type,” or a boyfriend, or aren’t even interested, you have probably encountered at least one of the following guys:

The Jock

You see this guy at the [rugby-hockey-basketball] house. He’s doing keg stands, rallying the crowd, and overall being the center of attention. He’s cute, in an arrogant kind of way. After a few drinks (and the subsequent confidence boost), you make your move. This is hard, because the jock is a pretty popular guy. But you do it, and you’re glad you did! For a fleeting moment, you are the girl every guy wants and every girl wants to be.

The Frat Guy

The frat guy is similar to the jock in that he is found at a party, usually the center of attention, playing drinking games. He’s surrounded by girls and guys alike. Unlike the jock, though, the frat guy is interested in you as a person, not you as a potential hookup. Or so it seems, at least. Not only that, but he’s so well-rounded! He does so much good for the school and the community. Who cares that he’s a super-senior living the frat life?

The Hippie

Now, you picked UVM for a reason. You’re not here for the super urban guys — nope, if you’re here, you at least have to kind of like the outdoors. I mean, why else would you pick a school that has such an emphasis on going outside? The hippie asks you to go for a hike, or to a super-secret swim spot, or to go slack-lining on the green. He smells a little bit unwashed, but that doesn’t bother you because those eyes!

The Nerd

This is the guy you meet in class. He sits in the front, wears super-adorable glasses, and dresses nicely. He’s clean, neat, and friendly. He asks thought-provoking questions, and has the approval of the professor and the class. Heck, he could teach the class for the amount of time you spend staring at him. His ideal date would be a study-sesh in the library. Maybe he’ll get you a coffee, because you’ve been studying so long and he’s just so kind.