Dr. Dog @ Higher Ground

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

The lights dimmed down but the enlivened hum from the crowd certainly didn’t. The stage dripped with multi-colored fabrics, accentuated by strategically placed wooden figurines. It was as if a gypsy woman had lured me into her home, and at that instant I knew I was in for a treat.

Dr. Dog, the indie/folk/rock-esque band with pop-like tendencies took the stage, and with one twangy guitar stroke followed by a feisty drum kick, that frosty Burlington night heated up immediately. Playing from their recently released album Shame, Shame, the fellows of Dr. Dog exposed a psychedelic twist to a popish beat with the song Shadow People.

The song off the new album tasted a little different, as I am personally more a fan of the raw musical sincerity of their first album Fate, but the new beat got my toes a-tapping nonetheless. Responding to the general vibe of the Higher Ground audience, Dr. Dog intermixed favorites off of Fate, finally concluding with an enthusiastic rendition of Architecture in Helsinki’s Heart it Races. But the end was far from near. After tantalizing the audience for what seemed like forever, (c’mon, Dr. Dog and I both knew an encore was in our future) the Doctors of dogs rocked the stage, gracing the audience with another 3 cheery numbers.

Grinning ear from ear, I came to a realization: my fellow Groovys’ of the UV, we are living the life. A view of the mountains plus a consistent flow of incredible music? What more could you ask for. Now, get out there and listen!