Style > Beauty

Breaking Down Ingredients in Clean Skincare

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

2020 brought many things to the surface, including a nationwide boom in the clean beauty market. Most of this is thanks to TikTok that spread awareness about specific ingredients and what brands to stay away from. Shoutout skincarebyhyram!

While I always saw myself as a conscious beauty consumer,  I never made it a priority until this past year. Through TikTok, I began to learn more about clean brands and the ingredients inside my favorite products. I began to break down the confusing feeling I had as a consumer when I looked at the back of a product and felt like I had no idea what any of it meant. This Earth Week, I invite you to take it a step further than just purchasing clean and begin to learn more about the origins and benefits of the powerful ingredients that make up your favorite products. To give you a head start, I’ve broken down three ingredients that are found in many clean skincare products! 

Spiraea Ulmaria (Meadowsweet) Flower Extract

The first ingredient is found in one of my favorite facemasks, the Tata Harper Resurfacing Mask! The Meadowsweet flower is local to Europe and grows in fields or on the sides of streams. It’s derived through the extraction of the leaves and blossoms of the flower. Meadowsweet Flower Extract contains salicylic acid which aids in anti-inflammation and is the perfect remedy for irritated and sensitive skin. Additionally, Meadowsweet Flower Extract is a natural astringent that helps cleanse excess oil from the skin by shrinking skin cells. 

Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender)

The next ingredient is one of the main components of my favorite moisturizer from Berlin Skin. Besides being a beautiful flower with a powerful scent, Lavender is also one of the most frequently used ingredients in clean beauty. Native to the Mediterranean, Lavender’s antifungal properties work to kill bacteria and heal acne breakouts. One of the chemical components that make up Lavender is beta-caryophyllene which provides pain-relieving effects to soothe inflammation and lessen skin redness. Over time, Lavender has the power to lessen acne, even skin tone, and reduce fine lines.

Boswellia Serrata (Frankincense) Resin Extract

The final ingredient we’re going to break down is Frankincense which is found in the clean beauty cult favorite Active Botanical Serum from Vintner’s Daughter. Frankincense has been used in natural medicine practices for centuries and comes from the Boswellia Serrata Tree native to India, Northern Africa, and the Middle East. The name Frankincense is derived from the French word “franc encens” which translates to “high-quality incense.” Today, Frankincense continues to be highly sought after for its astringent and cytophylactic qualities. Cytophylactic means that the oils work to stimulate new cell generation which is key for preserving skin health. Overall, Frankincense works to increase circulation and promote healing. 

I hope this article can inspire you to learn more about the ingredients within your products and feel more connected with what you’re putting on your skin. Continue to shop clean and have an amazing Earth Week! 

P.S. If you’re looking for a product that features all three of these ingredients check out emerging clean beauty brand French Farmacie that is set to launch in September!

I am a senior Public Communication student at the University of Vermont. I am passionate about public relations and brand communications within the fashion and lifestyle industry.