Life > Academics

Advice on How to Prep for Midterms (Or Anything Else That’s Coming Up, TBH)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

It’s March, which means that midterm season at UVM, if it hasn’t already begun for you, will soon be upon us. While I am so happy that this will be my last semester with heavily weighted exams, I’ve felt midterm anxiety multiple times during my college experience, some of which could have been avoided. It can seem overwhelming when a professor tells you that you have an exam coming up that will be 20% of your final grade, but there are a few steps you can take in order to help make the midterm season not seem so scary. There are also plenty of other events and things happening on campus coming up, so if you’re feeling overwhelmed by a busy schedule and lots of school work, these tips apply as well!

1. Start working early

The first step is to make sure to start studying or writing that big midterm paper early. If you leave it until the last second, writing a 15-page paper turns into a daunting task that may leave you with sleepless nights, incomplete thoughts, or, put simply, not the best work you could have created. The same goes for studying for an exam – make sure to start it a bit earlier so that you can really remember the content and not have to cram the day before. I’ve been in both situations of working last minute and can tell you now that there is a wonderful feeling that comes from getting your work done early, which allows you to have some free time to rest after being on that midterm grind.

1. Take time for your mental and physical health

Midterm season accompanies sickness season, and many times it takes a toll on your mental and physical health, which just makes the whole situation worse and makes you feel even worse about your midterms. Make sure to take the time to do things that bring you joy and help you relax, as you’re in the midst of a stressful time in the semester and the last thing you want is to get ill, which won’t make the situation any better. Take a spin class, read a new book, watch a couple of episodes of your favorite TV show, or hang out and study with a friend if you feel too overwhelmed. There is a time and place for your school work, and it should be a priority, but the top priority should be how you’re feeling. Check-in on yourself when you’re feeling too stressed or overworked.

1. Get enough sleep

This may seem pretty self-explanatory, but sleep is important. It can seem easy to just pass off a night of sleep and pull an all-nighter to finish that US History essay, but it affects your physical health more than you likely realize. The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute says that inadequate sleep can affect how well you think, learn, work, and interact with others. Your mood and energy will also be affected, and you may also feel hungrier than usual, all due to not getting enough zzz’s at night.

1. Don’t completely ditch your social life

While studying and getting work done is super important, you shouldn’t isolate yourself from all of your friends during this time. Social isolation may lead to bad mental health, which may then interfere with your academic endeavors. I’m not saying to spend an entire weekend on a huge trip with a bunch of people instead of studying for your Stats test on Tuesday, but shared study sessions and meeting up for a coffee while you write your essay can help you stay connected to those around you. A few of my favorite coffee study spots in Burlington are Muddy Waters, Kru, and Scout. Invite a friend out to get some work done and grab a tasty drink at the same time.

1. Check in with Professors if you’re feeling overwhelmed or confused

If you feel overwhelmed during this time of the semester, reach out to your professors and ask for clarification or a meeting during their office hours. Your professor’s office hours are a great time to meet and work through any issues you may be having, or to develop an idea you may have for an upcoming assignment. At the same time, if you are feeling overwhelmed by your schedule, reach out to your professor and see what you can do to make it feel less overwhelming. Some professors are really flexible with due dates and will work with you to help you succeed in their classes. Your advisor might also be able to help you figure out a good school-life balance, so they are a great resource if you ever feel like you’re swamped by schoolwork and have no time to relax. In addition to professors, UVM has a tutoring program through the tutoring center if you need extra help in a specific class, and the writing center is always available to help with writing assignments!

1. Find a good studying playlist/background noise

I’m very musically inclined, so my first instinct when getting started with school work is to make sure that I have good music in the background to motivate me to get my work done. While you may not be the same as me in that regard, if you are, Spotify and Apple Music have some good background noise playlists, and background beats for studying are always available on YouTube (lofi hip hop radio is my apartment’s playlist of choice). Sometimes just putting on some music can help you feel more creative and inspired to get your work done!

Hopefully, midterm season is kind to you, but if you’re already feeling stressed out about the upcoming weeks of exams and due dates, take a breath and recenter yourself before tackling your schoolwork. It’s not as scary as it seems, really!

Sam Lacey is a current third-year student at the University of Vermont majoring in Public Communications with a concentration in Strategic Writing. Sam loves all things music and film-related, and is also the manager of UVM's alternative radio station, WRUV. She's super excited to write for HerCampus (which she's been dreaming of since she was 16).