This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

Most universities tend to attract a specific type of person, with a few exceptions here and there. At first glance, UVM appears to be no exception. If you take a closer look, however, you will realize there is no typical UVM student. I, for one, have met a new and unique UVMer almost every day. Though I could go on for hours about the different types of people you will come across, here is a broader classification of the five people you will meet at UVM: 

1. The Hippie

Longboards, tattoos, dreadlocks, flannel button-downs, and Birkenstocks… sound familiar? If you go to UVM, it might! All of these things tend to be associated with the infamous UVM hippie. They can usually be found sitting on the steps of Bailey-Howe, enjoying the Redstone green on a beautiful day, or downtown by the water. Though these are the most typical defining features, it is really the attitude that distinguishes a hippie from the rest. A laidback, friendly person who is open to all types of people is a true hippie at heart, and Burlington’s relaxed atmosphere is the perfect place to exercise this mentality.

2. The Sorority Girl/Frat Star

The Greek community here at UVM is small, so students affiliated with a fraternity or sorority are bound to know one another. One might say that Greeks are “preppier” than the average UVM student, with their monogrammed Vineyard Vines bags and Sperry boat shoes. This may be true for some, but definitely not all- everyone is encouraged to join Greek life. UVM Greeks are less focused on the party scene, and more focused on the service aspect. According to the Panhellenic President, more than 80% of Greek students participate in additional clubs around UVM. So expect to see Greeks running around being very involved on campus!

3. The Partier

Everyone is certain to have a partier or two in their group of friends. Let’s be honest- without them and their dubstep music, UVM would be one dull campus. This person is always up for going out, and isn’t afraid to pressure you to come with! If you’re looking for upcoming concerts and events around Burlington, this is the person to ask! Also, a friend like this can definitely help you come out of your shell in college. Their outgoing and bubbly personality will help you meet plenty of people in no time.

4. The Athlete

Being a D1 school, UVM has many student-athletes. Though some of them might seem to only associate themselves with other athletes, many are just as friendly and open to new people as the next. It’s always fun to know an athlete or two so you have someone to support at the games. It also gives you a feeling of involvement when it comes to the school spirit across campus. Hockey games are the most frequented, while basketball games are pretty popular too. Overall, our athletes are hard working and dedicated to not only their sport, but their studies too- a.k.a. no “dumb jocks” here at UVM!

5. The In-Betweener

This person is a mix of all of the above. They have an easygoing and fun personality, are involved in a few clubs here and there, and love spending time with their many different groups of friends. This person sums up what UVM is truly about- unique personalities coming together to discover their paths in life, and enjoying themselves along the way!

The beautiful thing about UVM is the accepting atmosphere, because it brings all of these different types of people together. This is what college is all about! So, don’t let these groupings mislead you- we all poke fun at our stereotypes and ourselves. At the end of the day, the labels don’t matter because we’re all really “In-Betweeners”. We all have varying interests and like to make connections with different people, which is what makes us one big, welcoming family!