This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

By: Amanda Hutson

2022 has been the year of reading for me. I completely stretched out of my comfort zone, and  discovered some new favorite authors and genres. If you’re looking to pick up a book soon, here are the best books I’ve read so far, (in no particular order)!!

1. On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous – Ocean Vuong

On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous is a poetically written novel, set up as a letter written from a son to his illiterate mother. It explores the son’s Vietnamese family history before he was born, his upbringing in a somewhat broken family, and reflects on life-altering moments now that the son is writing the letter in his late twenties. I loved this book because of the writing. Ocean Vuong’s main medium is poetry, so it has beautiful words. It does an incredible job of showcasing old memories, so much that you picture yourself in them. This story is very central to our current moment in America, as it touches on race, class, masculinity, sexuality, addiction, and violence. 

1. Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982 – Cho Nam-Joo

Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982 is to Korea what the Feminine Mystique was to America in the 60s and 70s: groundbreaking feminist literature. I love this book because it made me so angry. It follows one woman, Kim Jiyoung, through childhood until post-marriage, and explores what it’s like to be a woman in Korea. The sexism is rampant; mother-in-laws wanting you to birth a boy instead of a girl, sisters making money only for it to be used for their brothers’ education, unsolicited sexual harrassment, and the list doesn’t end there. Kim Jiyoung is representative of any and every woman in Korea, and reading this book will open your eyes to Korea’s culture. 

1. Yerba Buena – Nina LaCour

As a long-time Nina LaCour fan growing up, I was so excited when she announced her first non-young-adult novel, Yerba Buena. It did not disappoint. It follows the stories of Sara, a runaway from a small town in Northern California, and Emilie, who’s in her seventh year of undergrad and struggling to find any direction. When they both find themselves in Los Angeles at the famous restaurant Yerba Buena, their stories begin to intertwine. The way this story is told is mesmerizing; you learn about each girl’s past through their own perspectives at the start, and then they meet and become a part of each other’s stories. It’s an amazing exploration of personal growth before having the ability to grow alongside someone else. 

1. Shoko’s Smile: Stories – Choi Eunyoung

It’s an understatement to say I became obsessed with short story collections this year, and Shoko’s Smile is a prime example of this. The titular story is about an exchange student and her host sister, and how they grew apart and together as they entered adulthood. The other stories touch on grief, loss, female friendship, and other experiences of women in South Korea. What I love about this book is how it’s centered around human relationships. You can find hints of your own life in every story. If you feel like reading a character-centered book, definitely pick this one up. Reviews compare it to the style of Sally Rooney and Banana Yoshimoto. 

1. Writers & Lovers – Lily King

This is a novel about grief, love, life cycles, and creativity. It’s set in Massachusetts in the late 90s and follows Casey, a 31-year-old woman whose mother just passed away. She waits tables for a living, and the conversations she has in her head while working are some of the best moments in the book. Her dream is to be a writer, and she’s been working on a myriad of projects for years with not much completion nor success. I loved this book a lot, and Casey has a lot to do with that. She’s funny, vulnerable, likable, and just wants a win in life. I recommend this one if you want a relatable read.

Hi! I'm a second-year studying Public Communications at UVM.