This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Over the summer my sister, her friend Katie and I sat around the kitchen table (most likely snacking on the finest cheese and crackers and most definitely holding a very intellectual conversation) when all of the sudden Katie abruptly stated, “I had the best Fuh yesterday!” I looked up confused and I glanced at my sister expecting the same reaction but instead she burst out “Oh my Gosh! I love Fuh!” 

Pho (pronounced “Fuh”) is a Vietnamese noodle soup (sometimes cooked with beef) served in most Vietnamese restaurants in the United States. Historically, according to phofever, Pho came from Northern Vietnam and has both Chinese and French influence. The soup made its way over to the U.S. during the Vietnam War. There are now over 2,000 restaurants across the U.S., and according to my sister “it’s become a fad.”

My sister was shocked to discover that I had no clue what Pho is knowing what a “food faddie” I am and demanded that we at once solve the problem of my Pholess life! So off we went to Vietnam 75 (located in Woodbridge, VA). My sister informed me that the atmosphere of Vietnam 75 was not the greatest but that the soup was amazing, and it was! The lightness of the soup gives you a content fullness rather than leaving you with a stomachache when you’ve realized you ate too much because it tasted so yummy. Instantly I became addicted, feeding into the Pho Fad.

I would highly recommend this delicious dish to anyone looking for something new to try. There are a couple different Vietnamese restaurants in Charlottesville such as Saigon Café.  Give it a taste, trust me you will love it!