What to do in Charlottesville This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

The temperatures outside are finally falling like the leaves on the ground; and with a plethora of spooky outdoor activities and coffee shops, Charlottesville is the perfect place to celebrate. As I’ve been navigating the city, I’ve come up with this list of things to see this fall.

City Market

The city market is a perfect start to the Saturday morning. Among the diverse vendors at the market, there are plenty of pumpkins and coffee shops to get you in the fall mood. Even better, located on Water St.,  the market is set against the backdrop of Downtown Charlottesville.

Antique books on antique books

Downtown Charlottesville is home to many great book shops; thumbing through old paperbacks is sure to give you the warm and fuzzies. Blue Whale Books, a spot for rare books, is currently celebrating its 25th year in business. Blue Whale is also home to Gizmo the dog– he alone makes the shop a must-see.

Virginia Film Festival

The Virginia Film Festival is October 23-27 this year, and tickets to the showings are free to all University students. Films are shown all over Charlottesville, and this year the Witching Hour horror films on October 25th and 26th will be shown on Grounds in Newcomb.

I Have To Include Apple Picking

Personally, I have not yet been to Carter Mountain, but as a Virginia native and UVA student, I have to mention such a spooky activity. 

Get Caffeinated

But I have indeed checked out several Charlottesville coffee roasters. Whether you find your home at Mudhouse Downtown, Grit on the Corner or if you’re looking to grab a snack at the Pie Chest/Lone Light Coffee combo, your first hot drink of the season will surely be memorable.

Peyton is a First Year at UVA, an intended Media Studies Major, and a caffeine addict
Shirley is a fourth year at the University of Virginia. She loves coffee, books, and plants. She also hopes that you'll enjoy her articles!