Weekly Upper and Lower Body Workouts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

The mysterious and scary weight room lingering in the back of the AFC: many girls will avoid it at all costs and some do not even know it exists. If you are tired of your routine and aren’t seeing results, it’s time for some change in your daily workout. I asked around in a group of my friends what their normal routine was, and it seems to me that many girls will go to the gym, do some sort of cardio (normally the elliptical) for 30 to 40 minutes then maybe do some arm workouts and then whatever ab routine they saw in the latest issue of Cosmopolitan.

This routine is totally fine! You’re getting to the gym and burning some calories, which is healthy and can help relieve stress; however, if you are looking for a more challenging workout to shape and tone your body for the summer, keep reading! Now, let me warn you, results are not going to be immediately apparent, but if you stick to the routine you will definitely notice and feel the difference.

Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays are the Upper body and ab workout days. On these days you do not need to do cardio. I usually start with a light 5 minute jog just to get my body started, but the great thing about the weightlifting is that you continue to burn calories for the next 24 hours. Also abs should be done every other day for better results, so your body doesn’t hit a plateau.

Here’s the schedule:

Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays: Upper body and Abs!

Bench Press: 3 x 12-15  
(Yes that scary looking thing that all the big boys use!!) If you have never used the bench press before, ask someone who knows to help you; you do not want to hurt yourself. Start out just using the bar (45lbs), and when you get stronger put five pounds on each side (55lbs). Make sure you push yourself to get 12 or more reps because this is what will tone your muscles. Anything under ten will bulk you up and unless that’s what you’re looking for go for 12!

Bent over Row: 3 x 12-15
Using the barbell, which can be found in the scary weight room, once again start with just the barbell and no weights. If this is too easy and you aren’t feeling it after 12 reps add 5punds to each side.

DB Shoulder Press: 3 x 12-15
Use dumbbells (5lbs, 7.5lbs, or 10lbs), and choose the weight judging by how difficult it is for you to reach 12 reps.

Bicep Curls: 3 x 12-15
Again, use dumbbells (5lbs, 7.5lbs, or 10lbs), and choose the weight judging by how difficult it is for you to reach 12 reps.

Triceps: 3x 12-15
Working your triceps is the key to making your arms look toned. For this exercise each rep is different. Start with 5lbs dumbbells, because this one is a little more difficult.

First rep: standing up, lean forward slightly with your arms bent at a 90-degree angle, with elbows by your side, DBs in hand with palms towards the center. Now extend your arms out behind you, and repeat this 12 times

Second rep: standing in the same position, arms at a 90 degree angle, this time with DBs in hand palms should be up towards ceiling. Fully extend arms back behind you.

Third rep: standing in the same position, arms at a 90 degree angle, this time with DBs in hand palms should be facing down. Extend arms back behind you.

Next, Abs!
You can do any variation of ab workout (I recommend 6 Minute Abs followed by something else). Just make sure you are pushing yourself hard for at least 10 minutes, working different areas of your abs.

Then stretch well!!!

Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays: Cardio and Lower body

Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays are Lower body and cardio. Start off with between 30 and 40 minutes of cardio. A good way to get rid of trouble areas is through high-intensity interval training; I normally do 45 seconds of jogging on the treadmill (about level 5.5) and then 15 seconds of sprints (level 8.5-9) 10-15 reps. After this I go on the elliptical for 25-30 minutes. Any type of cardio workout is fine. And then you move on to the lower body workout.

Squats: 3 x 12-15
Off to the weight room again! Get a barbell, and start with just the barbell or put 5lbs on each side.

Lunges: 3 x 12-15
Again uses the barbell.

Leg Curls: 3 x 12-15
Upstairs, if you’re at the AFC, use the leg curl machine. Use your own judgment to know how much weight to add in order to push yourself to at least 12 reps.

Leg Extension: 3 x 12-15
Judge for yourself how much weight to add in order to push yourself to at least 12 reps.

Hip Abduction: 3 x 12-15

Hip Abduction: 3 x 12 – 15

Standing Calf Raise: 3 x 12-15

Stretch out well!!

Sundays are a break from the workout: Whew! Good Luck!!

Francesca Lee is a fourth year majoring in sociology with a minor in media studies at the University of Virginia. This summer, she developed a passion for TV production after interning at WETA, the public television station for DC and the greater metro area.  Throughout the summer, Francesca researched, wrote and produced several WETA Around Town segments about the local arts programs and graffiti murals in DC.  As the new campus correspondent for Her Campus UVa, she is working to create video content for the UVa branch to supplement the written content.  This spring, she hopes to study abroad in Denmark and expand her knowledge of international broadcasting and advertising. Francesca also gives historical and admissions tours to visitors and prospective students at UVa and is a member of Alpha Chi Omega Sorority.