rotunda
rotunda
Original photo by Kathryn Johnson
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

We Didn’t Get Our Lara Jean and Peter Kavinsky Rotunda Scene, But I Got Mine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

After Jenny Han released her final installment of the To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before trilogy, I read Always and Forever, Lara Jean and fell in love with UVA the same way Lara Jean fell in love with Peter Kavinsky: a little bit naively, but wholeheartedly.

After packing up from Texas and arriving at UVA, I dragged my first friend to the famous McGregor Room to see if it truly was the magic library that Han’s novel had sold me on. We tip-toed down the staircase, our footfalls seeming to echo endlessly. Too scared by the silence to venture any further, we stood in the doorway of the famous Harry Potter room as two first-years. Turning around, we giggled and ran.

“It feels like it’ll give me sneezes,” my friend said. 

books on shelves with hanging lights
Photo by Janko Ferli? from Unsplash

Since then, I’ve never stepped foot in the McGregor Room. Instead of searching for the threads of another person’s story at UVA, I’ve learned to start writing my own.  In the words of Lara Jean, “It’s not like in the movies. It’s better, because it’s real.” The Netflix adaptation’s change in setting (switching the college acceptances of the main protagonists) means we’ll never get the scene where Lara Jean watches Peter run up the steps of the Rotunda Rocky-style and follows after him. My friend and I however, ran up those stairs and sat down side-by-side, sharing headphones. Perhaps we were five second background characters in someone else’s movie, but that memory will forever be eternal even when the melody stops. My first of many future Rotunda scenes was better than any movie script because I got to write my own narrative.  From morning sunrises to witnessing the glowing moon over the Lawn on sleepless nights, these moments are no longer someone else’s dreams—they’re my reality.

Hi, y'all! I'm Julia and am from Texas! I'm a third year studying biology and East Asian studies for pre-dental. If I'm not on YouTube, you can find me active on Yelp or Netflix. Aside from writing and reading, I enjoy taking photos. Thank you for reading my pieces!