This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

As the autumn season approaches, something inside me just begs for a good book. What could be cozier than a knit sweater, a crisp breeze, and a good read? Listed below are three books to perfectly compliment that fall aesthetic.

The Secret history by donna tartt

The Secret History takes place in a dreary New England setting, immediately laying the ground for a perfect fall read. Throw in eccentric university professors that teach Greek, an elite group of friends, and ominous mysteries waiting to be discovered and you have the recipe for not only the quintessential dark academia read but also one of my favorite books of all time.

Norwegian wood by haruki murakami

Not a lot about this novel is explicitly autumn-esque, but the general feel screams gloomy, rainy day to me. That being said this book is certainly a dark read and apt to put you in a down mood, so read with caution. However, Murakami writes in an intoxicating style that has led me to read his other works, so hopefully you will enjoy this as much as I did.

Cold mountain by charles frazier

Cold Mountain is a brilliantly written novel following a soldier’s return home from the Civil War. The detailed descriptions of nature the characters experience are not only intensely vibrant but also incredibly cozy to read during the fall season. Though the plot itself is slow, the writing style and imagery more than make up for it.

If you get the urge to cozy up with a good book as I do, I hope these suggestions give you the perfect place to start!

Nikki is a fourth year and a Biology major at the University of Virginia. Her loves in life include reading, animals, and cookies! Writing is one of her creative outlets and she hopes you enjoy her articles as much as she enjoys writing them!