Wellness > Health

Things become trends for a reason: Joining in on the Pilates wave

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

So, in recent years pilates has been receiving a lot of buzz in the pop-culture sphere. Whether it be Kendall Jenner and Hailey Bieber leaving pilates classes in LA or popular YouTube vlogs featuring hot pilates classes, it seems to be becoming more and more popular.

My own brief history with Pilates began just when the pandemic began, an effort to stay active at home led me to stumble onto this method of working out and it has changed the game! Here are 8 things to know about pilates which I’ve put together:

1. It falls into the low-impact movement category. Nothing like Cardio and differently from weight training, it incorporates a lot of stretching and yoga-like movements. In that way, I feel like its much more relaxing. It feels more like a break for the body than some sort of punishment. It feels good.
  2. You really can do it anywhere. While the typical mode might take place on Pilates reformer machines in studios, all you really need is a mat, even if that, and a little bit of floor space. My room has definitely become my own little pilates studio. I also love to listen to music or podcasts as I workout to make my own little exercise environment/vibe.

3. It does not require much time to get a killer workout in. While I’m not drenched in sweat or working out for hours at a time a day, pilates can work your muscles in just as little as 5 minutes. Small, repeated movements can do so much. My small attention span makes this aspect of Pilates a huge benefit for me. Busy schedules sometimes demand that working out lasts under 10 minutes.
4. There are so many online platforms for it. While paid platforms like TF studio and Melissa Wood Health, are great options, both providing weekly schedules with set workout videos for set days, free videos are everywhere also. Either way, it’s super helpful to follow along with someone and just constantly be learning new moves. After a while though, after watching so many videos I was able to make my own workouts too and do it more intuitively.
5. You can always modify to focus either more on strength or more so lengthening. Including ankle weights can bring in more of a muscle working, strengthening aspect, although they’re really not necessary to get a good workout in. Booty bands are also another good option for muscle-forming and shaping.

Those are my tips! I have found that Pilates pairs really well with walking to form an excellent, low-impact movement combo. Get to work on your own mini Pilates studio and try this game changing exercise trend!

My name is Julia Cloppse, I am a third year at UVA and I'm from Staten Island, New York!