Gilmore Girls walking through Fall Festival
Warner Bros. Television

The Best Gilmore Girls Episodes To Get You In The Fall Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

As the leaves start to change and the aroma of pumpkin spice fills the air, it’s time to cozy up with a warm cup of coffee and rekindle your love for the charming small town of Stars Hollow. Gilmore Girls, the beloved TV series created by Amy Sherman-Palladion, is the perfect fall companion. Whether you’re a die-hard fan or a newcomer to the whimsical world of Lorelai and Rory, here’s a list of the top 10 Gilmore Girls episodes that’ll make your autumn even more magical. 

1. Pilot (Season 1, Episode 1)

There’s no better place to start than the beginning. The pilot episode introduces us to the fast-talking mother-daughter duo Lorelai and Rory Gilmore. Fall sets the backdrop for their unique dynamic and love for coffee, setting the tone for the series. With the fall foliage and the cozy sweaters, it’s impossible not to feel the warmth and nostalgia that autumn brings to their small, close-knit town. 

2. Kiss and Tell (Season 1, Episode 7)

The episode screams fall from the start, with Taylor and Luke fighting over seasonal decorations. The leaves are turning, the pumpkins are out, and the Stars Hollow Autumn Festival is upon us. “Kiss and Tell” is important to the plot line of Dean and Rory as they have their first kiss in this episode. And you can’t forget Lane and Rory’s iconic dress-up as pilgrims to run the Cornucopia Can Drive. This episode is one of the best Gilmore Girls fall episodes.  

3. Love And War And Snow (Season 1, Episode 8)

Although this episode could technically be classified in either fall or winter, it’s just too iconic to leave off this list. In “Love And War And Snow,” Stars Hollow is transitioning from the colorful palette of fall foliage to the quiet, serene beauty of winter’s first snowfall. It’s the perfect episode to capture this transition. The episode showcases the preparations for the town’s annual Winter Carnival, a charming event that marks the shift into the colder months. It’s also the first time we hear Lorelai’s iconic line, “I smell snow.”

4. Let the Games Begin (Season 3, Episode 8)

In this episode, Emily and Richard take Lorelai and Rory on a tour of Yale. From the pumpkins, hay, and all of the fall decorations throughout Stars Hollow, it’s impossible to walk away from this episode without associating it with autumn. 

5. Ted Koppel’s Big Night Out (Season 4, Episode 9) 

Nothing says fall quite like a rival college football game. In “Ted Koppel’s Big Night Out,” Rory and Lorelai attend the Yale vs. Harvard football game with Richard and Emily. At the tailgate, everyone dons their Yale sweaters, sweatshirts, and scarves. The episode is relatable for college football fans ready for the season to begin.  

6. A Deep-Fried Korean Thanksgiving (Season 3, Episode 10)

Thanksgiving in Stars Hollow is an unforgettable affair. This episode showcases the mother-daughter duo jumping from Thanksgiving dinner to Thanksgiving dinner, containing all of our favorite characters. This episode showcases the quirky traditions, heartwarming moments, and the occasional family arguments that we have all come to associate with Thanksgiving. 

7. Hay Bale Maze (Season 7, Episode 18)

Set against the backdrop of the crisp, golden autumn landscape, this episode exudes the essence of community, fun, and quirky small-town traditions. With its hay rides, friendly competitions, and the hay bale maze itself, it’s impossible not to be enchanted by the cozy, fall-filled atmosphere. This episode captures the simple joys and neighborly bonds that make autumn in Stars Hollow so special. 

8. Knit, People, Knit (Season 7, Episode 19)

In this episode, the Stars Hollow “Knit-A-Thon” is upon us. The townsfolk come together to raise money for rebuilding a bridge over “Muddy River,” and they do so through the act of knitting. As they click their needles and work on their creations, the episode beautifully encapsulates the simplicity and togetherness that characterize the fall season. It’s a reflection of the small-town charm and communal spirit that Gilmore Girls is known for.   

9. Fall (Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life Season 1, Episode 4)

A decade after Season 7 of Gilmore Girls premiered, Netflix released a four-episode-revival that provided fans with the opportunity once more to travel back home to Stars Hollow. “Fall” is the fourth and final episode of the series. This episode brings viewers back to the best days of Stars Hollow, with leaves changing colors, coffee, and wool knit sweaters, “Fall” had the perfect setting and feel to remind us just what the time of year is like in Stars Hollow. 

Risa Dorf is on the writing team of the Her Campus's University of Virginia chapter. She is originally from Northern Virginia, and is intending to major in Public Policy and Media Studies. In her free time, Risa enjoys listening to music, going on walks, and grabbing food with her friends. Risa loves binging a good TV show, some of her favorites include: Suits, West Wing, Gilmore Girls, Friends, and New Girl.