The 5 Best A24 Horror Movies to Add to Your Watchlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Though horror can be a polarizing genre for many, it is an indispensable part of the Halloween season. In the past decade, A24 has emerged as a powerhouse of horror, with films such as Hereditary and Midsommar becoming hallmarks of modern horror. Here are five A24 horror films that will make an essential part of any October watchlist.

Note: As a horror fan, each of these movies will be somewhat objectively rated on their fear factor; however, watch at your own risk! Also, because everyone and their mother has seen the two aforementioned A24 horror movies, they will be omitted from this list.

X (2022)

Ti West’s tribute to classic slasher films is a refreshing and fun take on an old cinematic tradition. When a group of adult filmmakers travels to an old Texas farmhouse in 1979, their hedonistic lifestyle comes into direct conflict with the property’s morally strict and secretly depraved owners, creating a situation that is bound to end in bloodshed. Mia Goth’s performance as both the magnetic Maxine and homicidal Pearl cements her as Hollywood’s newest scream queen. One of her more powerful monologues has even become a niche TikTok sound. Prepare to see many people donning Maxine’s blue eyeshadow, feathered hair, and denim overalls for Halloween this year (me included).

Fear Factor: 2.5/5

Pearl (2022)

The prequel to X takes the viewer back to 1918 to see Pearl’s origin story of murderous rage and repression unravel. In arguably her more dynamic performance, Mia Goth’s Pearl is both sympathetic and psychotic, often switching between daydreaming about a life of stardom and killing those who get in her way. Much like Maxine, Pearl is a desirable, attractive, and ambitious young woman who aims for a life of stardom; however, while this proves somewhat successful for Maxine, it is Pearl’s undoing. Though this film has its undeniably funny and bizarre moments, it is a deeply disturbing character study, and the final scene is truly unnerving. Prepare for Mia Goth’s 3-minute-long creepy smile during the end credits.

Fear Factor: 4/5

The vvitch (2015)

This film is a must-see for anyone who loved Midsommar. Another modern classic in the folk horror genre, Robert Eggers’s The VVitch is a chilling retrospective into the pitfalls of Puritanical New England life. Anya Taylor-Joy’s performance as the embattled Thomasin catapulted her to international stardom — for good reason. She is constantly used as a scapegoat for the horrific tragedies that seem to follow her family after their expulsion from a 17th-century religious community, and this eventually leads to a personal ultimatum between resisting or becoming the evil that she is accused of. Think a much, much more isolated and disturbing take on the Salem Witch Trials.

Fear Factor: 4.5/5

The killing of a sacred Deer (2017)

Although this film is technically more of a thriller than it is a horror movie, it is undeniably disconcerting. Irish actor Barry Keoghan stuns as a troubled and sinister young man named Martin who spontaneously befriends Steven Murphy, a cardiac surgeon, and slowly begins to infiltrate his family life. Martin’s encroachment on Steven’s life coincides with each of the Murphy children’s mysteriously falling ill, eventually revealing tragic secrets and galvanizing a deadly chain of events. This film is a bit of a slow burn, but the tension builds perfectly to create a truly terrifying cinematic experience. You will absolutely hate Barry Keoghan for a couple of hours after you finish this one — but I guess that’s the point.

Fear Factor: 3.5/5

green room (2015)

Though last on this list, Green Room is certainly not least. The film follows a group of young punk artists as they travel to Portland to play a last-minute show at a rural venue that is, unbeknownst to them, frequented by neo-Nazis with a thirst for blood. After witnessing a murder in the venue’s green room, the band and a bewildered audience member named Emily fight the gang of skinheads led by Darcy Banker (Patrick Stewart) with more than a few casualties along the way. This film is truly reflective of punk music’s fast-paced, on-the-edge-of-your-seat nature, and every performance is remarkable in its own special way.

Fear Factor: 4/5

Happy watching and an even happier Halloween!

Hi! My name is Jaden, and I'm a first-year English major from Franklin County, VA. I love all things pop culture, but I'm currently obsessed with Euphoria, Wes Anderson movies, and Sally Rooney books. I also LOVE Phoebe Bridgers and Hozier! Aside from writing, I love to spend time with my friends, sing, and play my guitar. Wahoowa!